Growing Cannabis upside down?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Bass N Bake, Jan 22, 2013.

1. I got this idea after seeing one of those upside down tomato planters. I wonder if it would work that well. I think it's time for another hit. :bongin:

2. It will get you low, not high man

Omega369 :wave:

3. Topsyturvy weed ya had same Idea it works but grows towards the light so have one under the plant so plant grows down instead of up

4. #4 BadKittySmiles, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013

You will cripple your yield.. it's not even great for tomatoes, a dangling fruit, and even when your light source is below, and the root system above, the plants bend and struggle to grow upwards towards relative darkness, similar to when a particularly tall plant surpasses your light system and, instead of stooping only towards the light, continues upward... they assume, due to millions of years of genetic experience and programming, that the BEST light source is above and that below is likely reflected... they tend to assume (chemically, due to their programming) they are under cover, and that if they stretch beyond that cover, they will hopefully find the light they need.

Also consider that a rolled piece of paper can support a brick, but once it's bent, that support ability drops off markedly. When your branches begin from the bottom of the plant, and grow up as straight as possible, they can support much more weight. When they bend, the plant, in order to protect its ability to produce flowers, and seeds, halts and hinders bud production to prevent stalk/branch-breakage.

In the long run, if you're looking for yield, growing from the bottom up is more ideal... but if you wish to use space and light as efficiently as possible, in the past I've run both hanging baskets in open areas of the central room, as well as a sort of 'NFT' hydro system suspended from the wall, directly above the walking path I use to service my larger plants, feeding from a tub outside the room itself.
    They still grow upwards, hanging basket included, but they are kept/started smaller (due to their elevated height, and the height of the light over the floor-plants), and it's better than having 'nothing' in that ceiling space, or on that wall, and entire additional plants and root systems get more from that light, than simple reflectivity provides towards the plants already receiving the majority of the light from above. [​IMG]

5. Ya your right I put the gravity and the fact the if you tried to it would grow down but it will grow upwards after its big enough

6. Hm. I figured the plant would grow towards the most readily available light. Oh well. Sounds like you have a crazy ass grow room. :D

7. hang on! let me dig up the thread! my neighbor did this last summer! hes a GCer and has pics.

8. Lets have some update action here.. that thread link would be cool too.. i got this rollin with a bagseed for shitzz and gigglez, doesnt seem real promising but im rollin with it anyhow

9. Thread is titled "The kibbles and bites dank house" on my phone so I can't link it. Came right up when I used the search though.

10. The trick was he had to use a piece of cork to keep feedings from running all over the plants and causing burns.

11. Cool.. i searched a few things and havent seen that one.. i havent had to worry about dripping yet and i have a second hook in the ceiling to anchor it away from the light when needed, as the lights below.. thanx for the reply