GrowBright brand fans and carbon filters?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by sling, Mar 10, 2009.

1. No Odr sok. Search Mordgrow's threads, and it will give you first hand the reasons why. CAN or Mountain air are very reputable.

2. Thanks, that at least limits it to a traditional carbon filter. Now I have to decide if I'm willing to go with the name brand CAN fan, or the GrowBright combo which is quite a bit cheaper for the type of filter and CFM of the fan.

3. Not too picky with the fans myself. Just as long as it provides the cfm and has a decent warranty.

4. I certainly wouldn't go cheap with something as important as odor control.

5. I agree 100%, I opened my room this morning and got a nose full of smells....and I had a water leak last night so I had a contractor coming to crawl in my attic where the unfiltered air was venting to. So to avoid disaster, both from the contractor and company I was having tonight, I ran down to the local grow store (30 miles away) and picked up a 8 inch CAN fan and a CAN 66 filter. It's overkill for my closet but I didn't think the normal 6" and CAN 33 was quite big enough....rather more than less since I do have some cooling concerns.

I was able to tell a difference in minutes, both in temp and the smell of the exhaust air.

So decision made :) I could have skimped and got something smaller, maybe a chinese filter like htgsupply has, but since this is the single component that will keep me out of jail....I decided to get what I knew would work, so 8" CAN and CAN 66 filter.

Thanks for the input everyone!

6. link plz?

7. I know this is old,but if my experience can help someone out, it is worth mentioning. I have a 4'' fan filter combo (growbright from HTG). Yeah,it was only $160.00 total. But if you figure out your cubic footage, most of you are using fans that are way,way to much for your tiny little rooms. That's fine if that's what you want to do.

I have a 6'x6'x7' room. If you figure the cubic feet,then look at the fan cfm rating, my little fan/filter combo is moves 4 to 5 times the amount of air nessesary to be effective. With BC mango, Northern lights,and Master Kush several weeks into bud,You cannot smell anything coming out of the exhaust end of the system. And I have it vented into my A/C - hot water heater closet which is in my living room! I bought a ten dollar fan speed switch at Lowes,and keep it turned way,way down. It is on a timer,and turns on about 15 minutes every hour or so.This fan is a big relief. Yeah,they are a little loud,but I highly recommend the fan,filter and getting a speed switch. My switch is fully variable, not just a 3 speed selection. It seems the slower the air goes through the carbon,the better it cleans it.It also really quiets down the noise. I also used it as just a scrubber when I first bought it,and it worked great. I cant say how long the filter will last,it's only been about three weeks so far,but you can't smell anything at all,unless you go into the room. Also,the quality of the fan and filter seem really good for the price. So to everyone who says these growbright filters don't work, I 'd have to argue that. I will definitely buy another.

8. Glad you got a good one the quality seems to be very hit and miss. My growbright filter was junk. Never eliminated 100% of the odor and after a month or so was next to useless. I have been happy with the fan though.

9. I bought a growbright also. It worked fine until flowering, then its not worth damn! I will replace it with a Can.

10. I think the main problem is that most of you don't know how to use them.The fan and filter is NOT designed to eliminate the odor in your grow room!!! It is designed to remove the odor from the exhaust leaving your grow room.If your grow room is sealed and takes air in, and exhausts air out, you wont smell any pot coming out of the exhaust! If you don't seal up your grow room, putting one of these (or any kind of carbon filter) won't do a damn thing because that is not how the work.When the room is properly sealed,and the intake of fresh air and exhaust of stale air is done correctly-the only air leaving the grow room is going through the filter. You cant be pumping more air into the room than the fan/filter combo is exhausting,or you will have leaks.You need to develope negative pressure and they work awesome-everytime. I had BC Mango, Northern lights, THC Bomb, Kandy Kush, Lemon Skunk, and The ''ultimate'' all growing at the same time.25 3 ft. tall plants and there was no odor at all. I mean zero! Only when I opened the door of the grow room could you smell pot.
    I think most of these people who complain these filters don't work have absolutely no idea how the are designed to work.They think you just stick it in the room and use it as a scrubber or don't have to seal things up. You would need a massive fan filter combo to do that.

11. [quote name='"Peak 19"']I think the main problem is that most of you don't know how to use them.The fan and filter is NOT designed to eliminate the odor in your grow room!!! It is designed to remove the odor from the exhaust leaving your grow room.If your grow room is sealed and takes air in, and exhausts air out, you wont smell any pot coming out of the exhaust! If you don't seal up your grow room, putting one of these (or any kind of carbon filter) won't do a damn thing because that is not how the work.When the room is properly sealed,and the intake of fresh air and exhaust of stale air is done correctly-the only air leaving the grow room is going through the filter. You cant be pumping more air into the room than the fan/filter combo is exhausting,or you will have leaks.You need to develope negative pressure and they work awesome-everytime. I had BC Mango, Northern lights, THC Bomb, Kandy Kush, Lemon Skunk, and The ''ultimate'' all growing at the same time.25 3 ft. tall plants and there was no odor at all. I mean zero! Only when I opened the door of the grow room could you smell pot.
    I think most of these people who complain these filters don't work have absolutely no idea how the are designed to work.They think you just stick it in the room and use it as a scrubber or don't have to seal things up. You would need a massive fan filter combo to do that.[/quote]

I know exactly how filtration, airflow, and negative pressure works. Your right that no filter keeps smell out if the grow room but my htg filter would not scrub the air properly, exhausting the smell in to my attic. When the home a/c kicks on part of my attic air is pulled back down and the odor gets distributed through my entire house. I had no air leaks and plenty of negative pressure in my tent. My fan and filter were purchased as a matched set directly from htg so there was no mismatch in airflow ratings. The filter simply did not work. Literally hours after installing a phresh the difference was night and day.

I have no doubt some people get good ones but they obviously have some quality control issues to get so many complaints.