GROW TENTS(from ebay..) pros/cons ?!?!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sk8rd00d, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Well I got me some birthday money, and i'm thinking about upgrading my ghetto little cupbard grow to one of those $100 grow tents on ebay.:cool:

Can anyone that has experience with these give me some pros/cons about it that might make me retract my increasingly growing curiosity in buying one of these?
    :confused:
    Reasons i think it would be perfect for me:

1) one of my roomates wouldnt approve of this grow of mine.. and if he doesn't see me in the garage building a random box that i have to make up a story about to him then that would be easier (on the con side.. i will have to explain a random large box i get in the mail)

2) i'm only growing 3 plants right now (and i dont even know if all are fem) so the space is PERFect.. i already have ALL of the accessories for the grow (nutes/ph down and tester/plenty of daylight and soft cfls/soils/pots/timers/intake, exhaust and circulation fans);)

3) im thinking this is the easiest thing to use to put my grow up in the attic where i can make a duct for my exhaust to go up to the roof and hopefully smell would never be a problem:)

4) i dont have the tools in my college house to cut holes into wood for fans and such.. this would be just SO much easier.. it already comes with all of fan holes and easy access holes for wiring/lights/ and such and most of all already has the convenient mylar on the inside.:eek:

5) would never have to worry about leaving grow unattended for multiple days straight or so as far as FIRE HAZARD goes. :eek:

6) i think temperate and humidity are a lot easier to control..:cool:

BASICALLY i'm trying to think if the 100$ on this grow tent would pretty much be worth it considering all of the added expenses that is already included in it that i would have to add onto a random grow box i make and design myself

thoughts?:wave:

ya'll are awesome. GC 4 life:smoke:

2. I bought one because im terrible at building stuff. My setup I built was awful, light leeks all over and one day my huge carbon filter fell on one of my plants! I sure this is all my fault but the grow tent is great for me. All the holes are already cut into the tents, top and bottom for air in/air out. It comes with straps to hang filter off and I also feel its less of a fire risk.

The holes are great as duct or flex goes right through and it has pull cord to stop air and light leeks. It is quite a size, takes up half of my spare room! I like it so much I want one for vegging but can't spare the space and do not want to add anymore vents.

I think mine is a dr150 or something like that, Im at work at the moment! Hard at it!

3. I now have 2 tents - I started off with one and upgraded to two - they are fantastic if you dont want to take up a whole spare room and so easy to put together - it takes 5 minutes

I have Secret Jardin DRS120's

you can get plenty of buckets in or a decent sized flood and drain table in

[​IMG]

the vent fan hole is perfectly placed as well so you can rest that on the top of the tent - it's in the back right hand corner in this pic

[​IMG]

hope that helps

4. I like you makeshift light cooler! nice

5. i bought a $100.00 hydrohut on ebay ($100 shiping so $200 really). Best 200 i ever spent.
    Just make sure you vent it properly or you'll have constant heat issues

6. If I had someone living in the house that wouldn't approve, I would take every precaution I could to ensure security/safety, and if I couldn't be 100% sure they would not know, I wouldn't grow...

Take care of yourself man, if the tent WILL help you stay on the DL, DO IT.

How the hell are you hiding it from someone living in the same house? lol I know people do it in their parents house and stuff but it truly amazes me, if I had to hide it from someone in the house i'd go nuts.

7. thank you sir - I dont care what shit looks like as long as it works ;)

8. I recently got a grow tent from Ebay. I'm really pleased with it in every way.

However. I came home to find that postie had left it on my doorstep, in full view of everyone, with a huge picture and the words 'Grow Tent' on the side. LMAO! I'm just saying....

..Maybe I should have specified discreet packaging? I kinda thought I could take it for granted! :rolleyes:

9. damn dude you got a nice setup!
    How much did all that cost you?

btw, i'm a skater too! well used to be >.<

10. haha well we have 3 attic areas.. one you get through from one of my roomates closets (thats the one i was thinking about doing.. the other is in the ceiling above our 2nd floor and the other is connected to the bathroom upstairs (but the roomy i'm keeping it a secret from uses that bathroom so thats no good).. i might just do the vegetative in my closet though.. but once flowering hits and i start gettin that smell i need to move it up to the attic through my roomates closet.. but he is totally cool/excited about it.. just hasn't spent any money on anything (which means i aint givin him shit bud once harvest hits)

anyways its nice to hear about all of yalls success with it i'm already excited, and haven't even ordered it yet..

11. my advice is dont move your grow - start it where you mean to finish it ;)

12. LOL dude.. same here. I get home from work and this GIANT box labeled "indoor greenhouse" is sitting on my front stoop.

I'm really glad i was moving out of that place anyway..

13. Have a Budbox 1 metre squared and 2 metres in height. Love it to bits. Looking to upgrade it to the 1.2 square tent (fit 9 plants in), and keeping its budbox brand

Light leaks: none
    Durability: Great, 2 grows in quite a bit of mistakes made towards the tent and only the top outer zip seem is any bit worn (doesnt affect light leaks)
    Strength: Well its a grow tent like lol, i wouldnt use it as a work out room, but have never had anything tear or rip, seems perfect
    Extra Features: You can buy a drying and utility shelf to go along with them, these connect into the supports, ulity shelf can be used to seperate out the grow tent, drying shelf for drying lol. The new budbox models, come with a catchment tray in the bottom, and colour coded bars to fit together.

14. #14 Usual_suspect, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    I also have Secret Jardin DRS120's I picked it up from the hydro store but it came in a plain brown box. No stickers or labels.

I made my own grow area first! Im so crap at DIY, huge carbon filter fell on my plants! Thats why I got the tent! I use mine just for flowering but am thinking of getting another and doing away with my shabby vegging area.

Im sure some people can build things much better than these tents but I can't! I love my tent and so do my girls, as you can see from "smokeandmirrors" great pics
    the holes are all neat and come with pull cords to keep em tight. I have fresh air at the bottom and air out through the top with a carbon filter. No smell until I open the zip and no light leaks. I flower under a 600w HPS and temps are fine. I used to line the walls with mylar but I took it down when it got dirty and they seem to grow just as well without it.

Good luck

£120 uk, rip off hydro store. Just had my first pm, im such a newbie and im also so high at the moment!

15. hi iv bee using grow tents now for years and i must say it a growers must to have one.
    i baught 2 from ebay i have a 2m x 1m x 1m and a 1.6m x 0.9 m x 0.5 m and they are a dream to work with.
    i can say there is no cons to to them u simply get what u pay for..
    its so much easyer than making your own grow might be a little more exspensive but if u move home u cane take them with you so it makes the spending a little more cheaper in the long run as you would have to pay out to build another one. plus they are light proff have all the air in/outs wire holders pokets for ph pens npk equip. they are simply amazing and i really sujuest gettin one but dont buy the cheap ones they are crap. always get BUDBOX THEY ARE THE BEST..

[​IMG] this is my set up..

and this is what im achieving with it [​IMG]
    2 weeks into flower over 3 foot tall. and if it wernt for the grow tent i doubt id of got to here...
    check out my grow for ferther pics of the tent + plants

16. I got a 4'x4' one on ebay for like $100. Even if I built my own, I would spend much more and this one can always be easily moved. Also helps with the odor and the waterproof container on the bottom is great if you have a leak.

17. #17 MTmind, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
    I had a tent.

The design was great. However, I had two failed grows. I wasted a good six months trying to figure out problem after problem. Finally, I found some articles that stated some of these tents were manufactured in China, and were as toxic as some of the toys they have sent over here.

I removed 2 of the plants from the tent. Within a week one began flourishing and the other died.

It has all been hunky dory without a tent. While I really liked the idea of the tent make sure if you do get one that it is made in America.

Also keep in mind that with the tent you are limited to the height of your girls.

Do not throw the tent in a closet, unless you are cutting holes in the closet to bring in fresh air, and to exhaust. Worry more about getting good air in and the enough of it. Does not take much to exhaust them.

Heat is another concern with the tent. They can get hot!

If the environment the tent is in is to dry, to humid, etc.... then you are going to want to think about do you have enough ports for any other alterations you made need. The tents are not hard to cut holes in, but make sure you have more adapters for anything you may need to run in or out.

If I had the space, I would like a bigger one to use.

Be prepared in advance for problems to come and a few things I learned:
    -Have a way to provide heat when the lights out if it is getting to cold.
    -Have a way to cool things off if getting to hot.
    -Be able to dehumidify for to much moisture.
    -Be able to humidify, if not enough.
    -Water problems? A small reverse osmosis set up at lowes or HD are not expensive, and you can hook up a cheap simple saddle valve right onto a water pipe for good supply.
    -Easy to bring new water into your hydro system, make sure you can get it out easily too!
    -PH and EC or PPM testers on hand help a lot.
    -You may find you only need PH Down in a lot of cases(buy a big one), but have a smaller PH UP just in case.
    -Buy extra spray bottles, measuring cups, bulbs, filters, etc... Your going to need them.
    -Have a back up plan for maintenance in case you are going to be away for a little while. Especially with hydro. Things can go bad quickly.
    -Keep a log!!!!!! At first it does not seem valuable. After a couple crops, it gets a lot easier.

It is better to be over prepared. Your going to invest a lot of money you do not have to get this thing going right. It all pays off in the end.

18. I am also interested in ordering a 4x4 tent off of Ebay. Some of them are white PVC on the inside, and some have a "highly reflective material" on the inside. I do not know what the material is or the light diffusion properties it possess. I am wondering if it would still be better to just line it with Mylar to achieve maximum light efficiency. I figure I will order the shiny one and if Mylar is needed so be it. I can attach it to the inside with velcro strips. Does anybody have any information on what this "highly reflective material" might be?

19. gotta strongly disagree - I've grown perfectly well in tents made in China

The Secret Jardin tents are ALL manufactured in PRC and are the top selling tents

20. Interesting