Grow tent safety question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ogderp, Dec 6, 2012.

1. I'm planning on starting an indoor cfl grow soon, and I was planning on building my own grow tent. I found this portable rubbermaid garment closet at walmart, and I just wanted other people's opinion on if it was safe to use or not. It said online that its made from breathable fabric, so I don't know if that would make it a fire hazard. This is the link to check it out. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=17038982&findingMethod=rr

Attached Files:

2. Hi Ogderp

While I don't have experience with tents I would ask myself the question though, would this be dark enough during dark hours? Would light be able to get in?

If you rig your lights properly so that the fabrics not close to any power, heat or bulbs you should be ok. I am paranoid about fire as I have a thatch roof, just make sure everything's grounded and wired correctly. Personally I don't like the idea of tents but that's just me.

If you are looking at something that size then how about an old fridge perhaps? The you could also maybe to a perpetual grow.
    Much safer and also easier to manage to odors in a fridge carcass I would think.
    Where would you put the ventilation in a 'tent' like that? Unless smell is not a problem for you.

Hope it helps!

3. I was considering doing a set up in an old fridge but abandoned the idea for a 100 dollar closet from HD. This ended up being my flowering cab and I still bought a seperate tent for veg! But yeah for a smaller grow than what mine perpetuated into, check out HD, the product is a closetmaid 48" wardrobe closet that might do you well-the particle board is easy to work with and cut (unfortunately that means break, too..things arent very solid I did some reinforcing now its perfect) and looks relatively innocuous to anyone who isnt suspicious

4. ClosetMaid, 48 in. Multi-Purpose Wardrobe Cabinet, 12336 at The Home Depot - Mobile

I took out all shelves and dividers so it was one big hollow space. You might, becauze you dont have a veg tent, just leave the vertical divider in there for structural integrity and because you dont have a ssperate veg chamber not sure if you wanted one. I just braced around the edges myself and used a bug seal (also bought at HD) to seal up cracks for the lights. I lined mine with Mylar but the whole thing is already white inside so you might just leave it like that

5. I suppose it all depends on your requirements and preferences. I like the two compartments in the fridge for veg and flower, nice and contained, lockable, inconspicuous and almost 100% fire safe but if you have the room for the tent/closetmaid then you may have more space than me and would probably get more yield. Like I said, I'm a paranoid Pete when it comes to fire. I do like the size of the closetmaid though - almost as big as a nice big clothes cabinet (such as the one dishphead suggested) :)

6. I actually ended up getting another 30" cabinet from closetmaid, screwing the 30" and 48" together side-by-side and cut out the walls, so now I have a 78" long by 20" wide single cab for flowering. Have to say though, given the fact that I had to cut the walls out of the side of two of them amongst other work to make the whole thing fit together right, I'd rather just get a tent. For a good, cheap tent, check out virtual sun. I picked up my veg room- 4x4x7.5 for about 130 bucks from sears.com. So definately check out virtual sun. they're cheap and they work. Have some minor flaws but overall you get what you pay for.

7. and a lone-standing fridge is just as conspicuous as a white wardrobe closet in my opinion. How many peoples' houses do you go to and see a fridge with cords running out the back standing in some corner of some room in their house that isn't the kitchen?