Grow set up question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dyse702, Jul 9, 2018.

1. So guys, looking to start up my first grow room and had a few questions on set ups.

Looking to get this tent:

with this light

I guess my question is with LED do you still need a ballast? and how many plants would be optimal with this set up?

Thanks for the help!

2. There is nothing in your post other than your questions. If you posted links to Amazon, the forums are a little weird with it and will censor them out unless you name them something other than the hyperlink

3. Did those show up? either way its a Philzon 600W (60 - 10W Bulbs) LED Full Spectrum light in a 40" X 40" X 80" tent.

4. The light is old tech and underpowered. Probably only 150-200 watts actual draw. You’ll need about 600 actual watts in there or 420 watts of quantum board/COB white light LED. I’d suggest a dimmable HPS on the cheap, or 400 watts of qbs for a bit more

5. Dont buy that light mate its garbage. 108w so if you put it in a 2ft x 1ft area you could maybe pull about 3oz with it.
    When buying leds you need to scroll down to the specifications bit and see what it actually draws at the wall.
    Blurple companies are sneaky bastards. It will have 60x 10w diodes but theyre shit diodes that in this case only run at like 15% power.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I did not actually look at it since the links did not populate, with that being said, it looks like SpanishArcher found it and doesn't like the light, I agree with his comment. China LEDs are misleading

• Like Like x 1

7. What lights do you use toolzor?

8. I use HLG65s for veg and a QB304 for flower.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Apologies, 2 HLG65s for veg, 2 for flower, as well as 2 QB304s for flower (I want a total for 4 QB304s)

10. Amazon not letting me screenshot to show you but just scroll right down till tye specs come up. Click the wee arrow on the right hand side to expand and in there somewhere youll find another number that says 'actual wattage' 'draw wattage' or the phrase "while only drawing xxx at the wall".
    You want about 50w per square foot so for a 40x40, for most lighting other than cobs and qbs you want around 500 actual watts to effectively fill that tent.
    I use cheapy mars hydros. Not the best but they do the job. Whats your budget like?

11. Those lights toolzors got are bangin! If you can afford qbs do it. If carsberg done grow lights, thats what theyd be :)

12. You are clearly a grow light salesman! Stop bashing other grow lights that are clearly superior to the ones you sell! LMAO

Current Autoflower Grow

New 3x C4 Auto Grow

13. Ffs dont start that again lol
    Ive actually just went retro and got a 600w hps. Needed some extra coverage till i get my other lights back and gotta say my plants are loving it.
    Gonna start replacing my blurples with qbs soon though. Theyve done me well but theyre about 10 year old tech so biting the bullet at last.

14. I should be getting my new parts today. I ordered 5x qb 96 boards.....4x in 3500K, and 1x in 5000K. It will be powered by an HLG-240H-C1750A driver which will run at full power. I don't think it will require a heatsink, but I may get one anyway.

I have been using an HLG qb260 XW in 3000K, and I do love it a lot, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with 4x qb 132 boards and an HLG-240H driver so I could get the lights closer to the plants without losing my spread. In order to maintain 100% coverage in my 32" x 32" tent, I have to keep my light relatively high. So, I think I'm going to probably end up replacing my current qb260 with this new 5x qb96 build because I'm going to space out the boards enough so that it will cover my 32 x 32 tent from wall to wall.

• Like Like x 2

15. I Dont have a budget ^_^, i dont wanna go TOP TOP quality, but also want something thats good. I plan on piecing this grow together over the next few weeks. After what you told me the other day i looked around and found this:
    BESTVA DC Series 2000W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum Grow Lamp for Greenhouse Hydroponic Indoor Plants Veg and Flower

It says that avg power draw is 390w. Im figuring in this 40" X 40" im gonna have 4 plants going. Think this is adequate?

I will do some research into the QBS he spoke of as well while i wait for a reply.

• Like Like x 1
  16. My QBs are replacing this exact light. I can tell you from experience it's a $275 piece of dogshit.

17. Let me rephrase that. It's an okay light I guess if you don't get too serious, but if you want to produce a quality medicine, with any aspect of quantity, it is definitely not the way to go.

18. That is why im asking the questions instead of running out and buying. I keep finding mixed reviews some good some bad on basically everything i look at. I want quality over quantity. So the HLG65 look like just plug n play, but the QB 304 says popular drivers, which for 2 it says use the HLG-240H-C1050 Which you have to wire up to the QB304. then what does that just plug into the wall and your good to go? Do you need any cooling or anything for the lights? Guess im still a little confused on how these work. Sorry if these are dumb questions, im still looking into it and i may answer it myself but figured might as well ask.

• Like Like x 1
  19. These are absolutely not dumb questions. The reason the HLG65 is so expensive when you compare the wattage and such is that they are just like a laptop, plug and play. That's why they were the first QBs I tried.

I use 2 QB304s for flower (that's not good enough, I want 4 of them, just waiting on the cash flow to allow another one). The QB304s do require wiring. The way mine are, I had to wire the positive and negatives from one panel to another, then the positive and negative from the other panel to the driver. Then you need to wire up the driver to the power cord. It didn't say it required it at all but I didn't really feel good about it, so I ended up wrapping the connectors that I was sent with my package up with duct tape after connecting them and verifying it worked.

If you have the money, I really like these, it comes with everything you need in the package.

Quantum LEDs 150W 304 Light kit

Comes with the driver, all of the wires you need, and decent instructions on how to wire it up together.
    Includes 2 150W 304 Light panels, the brackets to mount them together, all of the wiring, etc.

There's a photo of them in action (paired with an HLG65 for some supplemental lighting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1