Grow set up 1st time....

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rixx, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hi!

I'm in Az with a Med card on the way... I want to set up a grow. (since it's legal now!) WORST time of the year w/heat!!

I have a 3rd garage, (where the central A/C is located) it already has 2 outside fresh air vents. (1ceiling, 1 lower side wall) I plan on installing a vent into the A/C ductwork in there to cool it. As here in Az it hits 115 outside...and in a garage w/o A/C 130 or so.

I'm wanting to just use the corner of the garage where the vents are located. I'm planning on adding 2 temp walls w/door to section it off.

The thing is....I'm legal up to 12 plants. The area I'd like to use would be roughly 6 ft x 6 ft x 10 ft tall. Is that too much area for 12 plants? The vents are 6 ft apart..

I'm planning on using box fans for the vents. (fresh air) Read about the inlines being much more efficient...but much more $$$ too!!

As far as lighting...I was hoping to use a 600 W HPS-MH combo ballast-light set up, changing to HPS at flowering time. Will that be enough, or do I really need the 1000 W?

Law just went into effect here...no stores yet to purchase bud. So therefore everyone is allowed to grow legally. You must live 25 miles away from closest store in order to grow. As soon as a store opens up within 25 miles, you lose the right to grow. Which prob won't be long, or otherwise I'd really go all out on a system.

(after thinking about the heat outside, I guess fresh air from outside won't be too good at 100+ degrees! Looks like I'll need to just use air from the garage, as it should be much cooler.)

So, I guess I don't need to limit the room size to 6x6...what size should it be for 12 plants?

And Mylar is the best as far as a light treatment for the walls?

thanks for the help!

Rixx

2. Yes Mylar is best.
    6x6 is ok for 12 plants.
    For 12 plants I would use the 1000w...but IMO 600w are much better (and give off less heat) so I would do 2 side by side.
    If this is going to be a temp thing i would..
    1) by some panda film (50'x10' is about $60 or less i belive)
    2) by a 1000w light w magnetic balist
    3) cheap reflector
    4) cheap ac unit

Im sure you can figure out what to do with eveything....and the ac unit...build your temp wall and put the ac unit in the wall (with the "back: of it hangning into the garage and the front into the grow room).

Good luck!

SignSmoker
    Michigan

3. thanks for the input!!

I planned on piping in the A/C from the central unit located in the garage. Hopefully that will be enough.

I saw a deal on the panda film, but wasn't sure about it.

I was also leaning towards a digital ballast where I could change bulbs from MH to HPS later on. Magnetic, you feel is better?

I heard the digital ballast put out much less heat as well...? I'm thinking heat is going to be my worst, and biggest problem as it is. (Az remember!!)

Thanks for the help!!!!

4. go digital.. it puts out more lumens... and its smaller... and some are switchable.. a very handy nice feature... but they are more expensive... compare prices before any purchase... i love greners