Grow room setup - suggestions/comments?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Pink Zeppelin, Feb 23, 2007.

1. First of all, I'm new to the GC forums so let's get that out there (hello, everyone!)

My friend is attempting to setup a grow room (we're both first-time growers) and has asked me to help so we decided to make a project out of it. We've been pouring over resources and guides on growing and so far this is what our setup is looking like:

Room size: (2'x5' rectangle 8' tall) closet on 2nd floor; attic space above:

We've decided to stick with the traditional method instead of SOG so that we don't have so many plants if discovered. At most we'd like to grow 3-4 plants. We plan to grow the strain "Misty."

I already happen to have a 250W HPS bulb with an "improved blue spectrum", so I just need to get a fixture/ballast. According to some of the guides I've read, 250W (lumen-wise) should be enough for our space but I'm not 100% sure. Suggestions? I wouldn't mind getting an HPS/MH interchangeable fixture so that I can provide maximum spectrum coverage for the two stages. Anyone know of a specific product that's fairly cheap? Also, I want to avoid having to wire anything through the attic or into breakers and all that stuff since I'm trying to minimize damage/permanent modification to his apartment. It is possible to wire the ballast to a 3-prong adapter and plug that into a surge protector, right?

The height of the ceiling (8') may pose a lamp/distance problem at first (correct?) If so we could probably attach the fixture to the shelf in the closet that sits at about a height of 6'. Would this help any? Note: the walls will be lined with foil dull-side out, if that helps the light situation any.

I plan to ventilate by leaving the door cracked slightly + a possible 3-4" PVC pipe leading to the attic + a small fan (if necessary)

At the moment those are mostly all of our concerns. I'll keep checking this thread and adding more questions as they come, I suppose. Thanks in advance!

2. well i guess your startign out decent, first off i woudl paint the walls flat white

then put some hooks in teh ceiling, go to home depot and buy some chain and just hang teh lights from the hooks on a chain so u can move them, u dont want them too far from the plants

u have a while to go before you start, i would probably reccomend a sea of green cuz once u start your gonna want a supply of bud rather then have to start from seed all over.and i would think abtou hydro or soil cuz thats a big decision

3. thatsa big area for 250 watts, 2-3 plants is all the 250 will support IMO, Have you looked for mylar its cheap andworks somuch better then paint or foil.
    Just use cflor flouro's for the seedlings its easier then trying to raise seeds under the hid light. Look at the set ups around here you may be an able tosplit that area andcome up with a veg area and a flower area gluck buddy..
    welcome to GC

4. Pretty big area, but it will do. with some extra fluoros.

5. @devilman2075 - I'm glad you mentioned the chains, I hadn't even thought of it. I'll definitely give some more thought towards the SOG because I understand what you're saying.

@BUDSLiNGER - I've heard of using mylar but wasn't aware that it worked so much better than paint or foil. Thanks for the information.

@PurpleStuffed - Which fluoros/how many would you recommend?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions/comments. In the meantime, take care.

EDIT: I was looking at a fixture such as this http://www.goodmart.com/products/259138.htm If I could set it up on chains and lower it to it's necessary height, would it serve my purposes? Also if anyone wants to help design this room, I'm more than happy to accept sketches/blueprints/whatever. I need all the help I can get, lol.