Grow room setup question

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rh420__, Mar 26, 2016.

1. So I'm planning to build a grow room with plywood and 2x4s about 6'-7'length, 4' width, 5'-6' height. Thinking about buying 1000w hid and adding my 400w hid grow light along with it, would this be too much for this space? (Both will be having dimmable ballast.) Does anyone have any set up ideas/designs? Also plan on adding a mother room in there about 2' length, 4' width x 4' height and plan to add a cloning station above mother room about 2' length x 4' width x 2' height. Does this set up sound good? Any advice would be appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. That much light is fine if you can cool the space efficiently. As far as your plan, it sounds good. I framed in a room in my basement very similar to what you described. I run 1000k in the flower room 400 in the veg and a few cfl's for the cloner. Using an 800 cfm fan keeps temps in both rooms just right.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I meant the 400w + 1000w in flower room, I plan on using cfls in mother room and t5s in cloning room. How many plants did you fit in the flower room? And what were the temps with the 800cfm? I'm thinking of just using 6" fans with ducting to exhaust hot air out of the hoods to outside the room

4. My temps stay consistently in the high 60's in the winter and mid 70's in the summer. Even when I run double 1k lights in there. To be honest, I would switch your lights around so the T5 is in the veg room and the cfl's over the clones. Clones don't need much light. Where are you pulling fresh air from, and where are you exhausting it?

5. Where'd you get this fan from? If I may ask...
    Okay I will be doing that instead. I will be pulling air from the outdoors and exhausting outdoors as well. I'm just highly concerned about light leaks, any advice on how to get that out the way?

6. That fan was a cheep carpet blower I think I found it at a pawn shop. Its a little bigger than a basket ball. I then attached ducting to it, and voila, 800cfm exhaust. As far as light leaks go, I built U channels into the intake and exhaust ports. Paint the insides black and bam, light proof ventilation. As far as light proofing the door, that can get tricky. I used some rubber weather stripping all the way around the door, and a second "vestibule" room that stays dark in front of that.

7. I think I'll just stick to two 6" fans, that carpet blower sounds expensive. Can you explain what's a U channel? Is it just ducting in the U shape? Lol and matte black or gloss black? I plan on just putting 2x4s around the light leaks from the door, hopefully that'll do the job. The other thread that you mentioned about the bubble cloner, do you know if any aquarium air pump would do?

8. That carpet fan was only like 30 or 35 bucks. I really wish I would have taken a picture of the light trap before I finished building the wall, but it's kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

That picture is from amsterdam's thread: My Take on a Grow Cabinet
    Next time I take mine apart to clean it I'll snap a few photos. I used an oil based flat black paint, because its what I had, but really any black paint works, flat better than gloss, but gloss is easier to clean.
    As far as an air pump for a cloner, the more bubbles the better, but for the most part ya any air pump will do.

9. If you wouldn't mind sending me some and how it sets up, when you do snap a few photos, that'd be nice. I'll just use the flat black then. Do you think this one would work?[​IMG]

10. Ya, that thing would be perfect for a 1 or 2 gallon cloner. 4-6 cuttings would root well with that as long as the temp is right. Any more cuttings than that would require a bigger air pump imo. :smoke:

11. [​IMG]
    Do you think 6 clones would be the max? And do you think I'll be fine with that pump and these items to make the cloner?

12. For that size air pump I think 6 would be the most I would do, the heater, stone and tubing are perfect. When looking for a bucket, try to find one thats not clear. Just saves the step of having to light proof your cloner, we don't want light on the roots. :smoke: