Grow room Electrical outlet ?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by nzkushog, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Hi guys, I am seeking electrical advice!
    I'm looking at setting up an indoor grow room. The initial anticipated setup will consist of around 1200 watts in lighting, plus extra equipment. I'm looking at about 1500-2000w total.
    I'm wishing to acquire information on how to run power from the mains in my house to under the house in a basement. I am not completely oblivious on how to perform electrical work, but I am pretty deficient on the technical side of things - hence this thread. I am in new Zealand and our mains power is 240v, I believe I will be using about 5 amps in lighting plus another couple on additional equipment. Could Any body give me some advice beyond telling me to hire an electrician . Cheers!

2. Are you wanting to run 240v equipment or 120v? If it's set up the same as American wiring the 240v comes in to the main panel and is split into 2 legs at 120v each. Just a matter of what breaker you use. A 120v breaker come from one leg and a 240v draws from both. If you're running 120v I'd run 2 new 20 amp breakers and two lines. Setup at least 4 outlets per line to give some space for expansions. The 5 amp load at 240v is a 10 amp load at 120v. Be sure the main service can handle it first tho. Here most homes have 100 amp service to run the whole household.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

3. Thanks @growmymeds. I will look into that info you have provided me.
    I will be running my equipment at 240v. At total, it's estimated to be about 7amps total, so Im thinking 10amps will be enough for me? It is unlikely that I will be expanding my garden beyond what I am intending to setup. This is just a way to continue my hobby throughout the upcoming winter we face shortly as summer comes to an end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just a space heater runs at about 10 amps at 240v

(Heater with a 700-800w settings equalling 1500w if both used. Running at about
    10+ amps)

5. 1500w ÷ 240v = 6.25a
    1500w ÷ 120v = 12.5a

Volt x amp = watt
    Watt ÷ volt = amp
    Watt ÷ amp = volt
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. 10 amps at 240v was a guess on the safe side..

But i knew that it was definitely plus 10 at 120v..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Did you get any wiring done yet??

8. How is this project goin??