Grow room design

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by tdoy77, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Hey grasscity.. I have a new grow room in mind and i would like some input from some growers. I have a 14' by 13' room that i plan to split into 4 rooms. 1) cloning plus mother room 2) Drying + storage room 3) Vegetative 4) flowering. I am going to be using a 4 by 3 drip system for the the cloning + mother plant room and a 8 by 4 ebb and flow system for both the floweing and veg rooms. Please leave your input and also i need some help with the ventalation and electrical. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. #2 Sativanya, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
    Looks like a good setup, just wondering why so much. I would try your op with half of everything until your feet get a bit wet. From personal experience trying to maintain a 2x4' veg and 2x4 flowering area has many challenges in itself. The bigger they are especially with hydro, the faster things can get way out of control. Start small imo. But other then that, ya looks great!---Veg room a little to big I think.

3. very good advice ill stick to just one light in each room just for the first grow instead of going all out. As for the veg room I could add the cloning + mother plant room in that space??

4. Yea for sure, and when the mother starts to get to big just trim it down.

5. I like your style. Anyways, your veg system only needs to be about 1/2 the size of your flowering setup, less if you plan to stagger your flowering starts. 37 wpsf in flowering is a little low for the way I grow(SOGing donkey dick multi-cola plants). Right now I have 2-600W HPS over 2-3x3 trays in a grow tent. I have staggered the trays a month apart, so I harvest 1 tray every month or so. For me personally, 1 pound+ of dried herb is more than enough to deal with at a time. I have to harvest, trim, dry, cure. By the time it has cured for a couple weeks, my other table is ready for harvest and that cycle starts over. My mother/clone/veg area is also a tent, this one a 4x4. I have 8 bonsai mothers under 1 4ft 4-bulb T5(216wW) in a 2x4 tray and have to prune regularly to keep them in check. I could keep my flowering tent at capacity with just 1 mother, but I have a hard time throwing anything away. This includes good mother plants/strains of MJ. I clone in a 10x20 prop. tray w/ dome and veg my plants(9 at a time) in a 2x2 tray also lit with T5s. This one a 192W 2ft 8 bulb rig. Rooting/veg time is strain dependent, so you will get the timing down with experience. I suggest a little notebook to keep important info(rooting/veg/flowering times, nutrient needs, growth characteristics) about strains you plan to grow again. Air movement - my 600's are air cooled, and the air is pulled from outside the tent and exhausted back outside the tent. This is perfect for times I want to enrich the CO2, usually only in early/mid flowering. I have a monster exhaust 8" HO Can Fan in my 3x6 tent that exchanges all the air inside the tent more than once per minute. This keeps the temps inside the tent very close to the temps outside in my "lung" room. I also use four 7" clip on fans for interior circulation. In the veg tent with T5s, the temps are much more easily controlled and a 6" inline fan is more than adequate. I have a small oscillating fan to keep the air stirred up in there. If there was a point to be made here, it would be that my garden (which takes up less than 40 sq ft) will produce the same as your 180 sq ft room. So my advice would be to scale the dimensions back, think about wattage per square foot, combine rooms of like photoperiod, stagger the vegetative starts thereby staggering the flowering starts and also the amount of buds in your drying room at one time, air movement and ventilation is extremely important to control temps, and....I'm sure there is more. Does this help?

6. thanks for helping everyone!! Ill draw up another design with the modifications you guys suggested. 1 question do you think it would be best to keep the same lights with a grow area sized at 6' by 3' area or down size the lights aswell??

7. I determine which lights I use in a given run by the amount of medicine I need to produce. With experience and the right methods a 400w can get you close to 1/2 lb, 600w 1 lb and 1000w 2 lbs. I use my 3x6 tent(which us actually 3'11"X7'11") for both 600s and 1000s. The key is to keep the temps down with lots of airflow.

8. #8 tdoy77, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
    ok.. so i read all of the post and i came up with this improved design. The cloning and mother plant room is combined with the veg room. im thinking 2 by 3 will be used for cloning and mother plant and 4 by 6 for veging plants. soo what do you think. it is 10 by 9 equaling 90 square feet. I might also switch to some t5s or cfl's in the veg room for electrical reasons since i dont need massive plants since i plan to grow with the SOG method. What do you think about the design and the lighting change OCDinFL or anyone else?????

Attached Files: