Grow Log/General Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GreeneryBud, Aug 20, 2016.

1. So I've been exploring this forum for the past few months and have found the courage to do my first grow!

I've done a ton of research but still have a ton of questions involving the whole process, so I opened this thread to show everyone my progress as well as ask questions so I dont screw up.

So, I bought an auto flower girl scout cookies, and a feminized cheese candy. I wanted to start them at the same time and veg the cheese candy while the cookies are flowering, but I'm worried that that the candy will outgrow my box which is 2x2x4.

I could grow both and switch to 12 hours light 12 hours dark when the candy gets too large, but I read that could seriously affect my autoflower yields.

What should I do?

2. This is my grow box, I just built last night. Four 2x4s and a $9 insulation sheet. I duct taped the edges to seal it, and clean it up a bit. I've got a 250w 2700k cfl coming in the mail, with a temp/humidity gage coming with it. Hoping to get around an ounce per plant with this setup...

Oh and it needs a door too, the hinges I bought were far too small so that we be fixed soon!

Attached Files:

3. What is your solution for ventilation?

4. Not sure yet. I'm thinking two 120mm fans, one for intake the other for exhaust.

Otherwise I'll just get a 4inch desk fan and hook it up to dryer ducting as and exhaust and pole holes in the bottom for passive intake.

5. Not grow them at the same time or have separate light proof rooms for each plant

• Like Like x 1
  6. Could I just start the candy a few weeks later than the cookies autoflower? Like when the autoflower only has 5 weeks left until harvest. I could veg that five weeks and then switch to 12 hour shifts. Would that not work?

Also, what's the cheapest best soil for this grow? I heard I can just get unfertilized soil and then get powdered fertilizers to mix with water and that would be the cheapest/easiest way to do things. What do you guys think?

7. You will run in to problems growing an auto and photoperiod in such a small area. I would just grow the one. What lights do you have? Because of the very low height, you will have to do a lot of training so should easily fill the area with just the one plant

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not bad. You should be able to get a couple of Oz from that light

9. Keep in mind that if you don't use a carbon filter, you will completely stink out your entire house. It may be worth getting a proper fan and turn the speed down a bit if you need it quieter. That way you can fit a carbon filter. If you do go with pc fans I don't think just one exhaust fan will handle the heat, especially with such a short height. Speaking of which, I must ask.... As you have made the box yourself, why did you make it so short? If you made it twice as tall, it would make it so much easier to grow. 4' will have you struggling at times. Anyway, if you do go with the pc fans you will likely need at least two exhausts and two intakes

10. Where would you put it? The first plant will have filled the space, if you put a seedling on the floor, it wouldn't get any light, it would be blocked by the first one. I would just grow one at a time. You could grow two very small plants if they were both autos or both photoperiods, but it would offer no advantage other than getting more than one strain. Growing an auto and a photoperiod together is a pain because they have different growth habits as far as training goes

As for soil and nutrients, which country are you in?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Then why grow the auto at all ? 12 hours isn't much time for an auto , yield will suffer , but hey its your choice .so why even ask ? Cheap soil equals cheap results , especially for a noob who has no clue . Best off getting a quality soil and mix in 25 % Perlite ...bada bing , great soil . Surely $ 25 on soil to grow a couple ounces of good weed is a bargain

12. Well TBH where I'm living is temporary (less than 6 months) and I'm building my house which will accommodate a much larger grow room. This is an experiment to see if I can grow, and how difficult it is, and the closet area I'm growing in fit this box perfectly. And about the carbon fan, I will for sure get one. Could I get a 4' inline fan and plug one side with carbon filter pads I get at the store? I could cut them to fit but how effective would that be. Being as the grow box is small, putting a large intake would hurt space.

Gotcha, I will only grow one. I'm glad you think several ounces is possible, I didn't think I'd hit an ounce. Thats really the reason I wanted to grow two was to increase yields. I'm in the US. I went to Lowes last night and it was pretty much exclusively miracle grow. I do have a Grow Shop in town so I'll check them out this week. I just want a definitive answer as to what I need to get and how often I feed them. Also, what kind of pot should I plant it in? Long and short?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a cheapass, I'm just trying to keep this project as inexpensive as possible as this is a temporary grow spot. $25 is totally fine, but would that include soil a fertilizers?

13. Maybe you should just wait until you have money you are willing to spend . In the mean time you could read about growing and growing equipment . A carbon filter , in line fan and a variable speed controller is $ 125 . And its a waste if your next grow area is larger than the fan can handle and you will be forced to buy a second one and a matching filter again ... You can try to grow with dirt from your yard if you want , probably kill your plants , but you'll save $25 and you'll see if you can grow . Can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear .I'm sure you don't want to spend money on a proper light either than .Read this as I don't type well enough with two fingers to explain everything to you . You need to read for your self . Please don't take this as rude .
    Tutorial: How to Grow Cannabis Indoors! | Grow Weed Easy

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've been doing a ton of research, but I came here for more resources. You aren't helping.

BTW If you read my first post you'd know I already bought a light, but all you are doing is criticizing.

If you aren't going to help please refrain from posting.

15. I gave you solid advice . If you have done all this research you would know it all starts with good soil .

16. I understand this. I've read that some growers use organic potting soil and then purchase powdered nutes to feed the ant from then. It's less expensive than water fertilizer or getting soil with fertilizer in it. That's what I meant by cheaper. I will buy good stuff, but less expensive alternatives aren't always less effective.

17. And I am trying to help you . For your FIRST grow just buy a good bag of soil and a bag of Perlite mix 75/25 and your done . .

18. S
    Alright. What would I do for nutrients?

19. Attached Files:

20. #20 GoldGrower, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Carbon filter pads won't do jack. Even cheap carbon filters don't work. Only top quality carbon filters are worth buying. There are some things in a grow that you can cheap out on just fine and there are other things that you can't. Fan and filter are two things that you can't cheap out on because cheap filters don't work, and cheap fans aren't powerful enough to draw air through a filter and ducting

It's not ideal but you can position your fan on the very top of your grow box, on the outside. Then have the filter on top of that. It will then not take up any space inside. The filter won't last as long but it works.

One plant which has filled the area will yield the same as two plants that has filled the area. Mixing autos and photoperiods in small spaces is the problem. One plant will easily fill that space in no time

I can't help you with soil as all the brands available to me won't be available to you. Miracle grow compost is an amendment and shouldn't be used on its own. Mix it 50/50 with Moss peat or something similar. Also you must add perlite to the mix. The final mix should be about 30% perlite. The pot should be as short as possible because you need as much height as possible. See if you can get hold of a container or some sort of tray which fills the area. The bigger the pot the better, but it needs to be short so cutting it down may be necessary.

I add nutrients on every watering. The concentration will be low in the first couple of weeks and gradually getting stronger. Depending on what nutes you buy, the dosage will be different. I can't help with brands as our countries don't share many brands if any at all. I only use growth technology. But it has a different name in the US. Getting your dosage correct is extremely important and needs to be done right

Check out this thread, it's an extremely cheap way of making a carbon filter which will work with 120mm pc fans. It works but the carbon needs to be replaced at least once a week. Worth a try as it will be a lot cheaper. It involves a bit of creativity and a proper fan and filter would be a lot easier but of the low cost it can be a viable option with very small grows. A proper fan and filter is a much better option though

Cheap And Easy Home Made Carbon Filter For Pc Fans

• Like Like x 2