grow journal...

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by icefox0724, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Hello all. I just spent the past hour out at various retailers that sell lights and cords and things of that growing nature.

I have a small old bar that has space inside of it that i'm gonna grow in. the dimensions are H-32" L- 40.5" W- 10" i'm going to start with one plant, and then move up to 2. i wanna make sure i do things right before i get two goin at the same time. i have 8 lights. all cfl's 4 normal light, 4 soft light. i have extenion cords and light fixtures, one for each, the total on that was about 20$ for the cords and fixtures, and about 30 for the lights.

i'm going to set everything up then set down some mylar... thank goodness for heat blankets in safety kits so i can just use that!

i don't have any seeds yet nor any of the planting things. i just want to be able to get my area set up and know what i'm missing before i get into it.:p

here's what i have so far

8-cfl's (4 soft white, 4 natural) $28
    8-extension cords 1.25 each
    8-plug in light adapters 1.23 each
    2-mylar safety blankets came in safety kits:D
    1-light timer $10
    2-tubes to water the plants $10 for 12 feet
    2-sets of brass chains and hooks to hang my lights $1 each. (they were on special)

1-hand held power screw driver- $9
    1-wire stripper $8
    1- 150 yard 50 lb test fishing line (going to create my own scrog) $2.50

1-thermometer-$1

all in all it basically cost about 100 for all this. i did some pricing on pots $6. soil can be anywhere from $2-6.

so that's my budget grow op supply list. eventually i'm going to grow two plants on a scrog inside this bar. things i have to buy are

seeds
    pots
    soil
    nutes

should be another 60 or so for that depending on the seeds i get. i will be posting picts of everything later this week. it's spring break and while everyone is in florida i'll be here making a grow-op. sweet. if anyone has any ideas, lemme know. this is a work in progress as it is my first. :wave:

2. finally got my scrog in... it's 50lb test fishing line. i did some interweaving to balance out any pressure that the plant may put on it. my chain will fit in through the slots that i have so that the lights can go above and below the scrog! :D now it's time to cover everything in mylar. my big concerns now are temp and odor. currently i don't have a back to the thing, it will just stay up against a wall, but i should be able to get some ply wood or something in the near future. :hello:

3. woot! just ordered my seeds from sanniesshop.com can't wait. it's a blue hammer. a new strain of blueberry indica jack berry, and jack hammer. 50/50 indica sativa blend. can't wait. since my whole thing is based on a scrog, it was nice to see that sannie had said that this particular plant was good for scrog and sog methods. :hello: can't wait for the seeds to come in, i'll be updating next when they do!

4. Well the total area between the medium and the lights.. is probably almost 2 foot in my grow. the screen is like 7-8 inches above the medium probably.

Looks pretty tight heightwise but otherwise I think you'll be more than good. I like the scrog! Should do ye nicely :D

Happy growing! :smoke:

5. Hey icefox! Looks like a good start to me. You're better off than many of the growers here, myself included, in that you are building your cab before germination. Very smart.

In my opinion, ventilation should be next on your list. Set up your intake and exhaust openings, get your fan, and set up your ducting. Seal the entire bar. You'll need a thermo/hygrometer of course... Then, you're all set to start testing, adjusting, and stabilizing your environment! Temperature is the key variable here, with humidity a secondary concern. Good luck to ya dude, I'll be watching :smoking:

6. also....you can use y adapters to make each socket a 2 or 3 light socket...that will help in adding some killer lumens! good luck ...Im here to help!

7. just got confirmation this morning from sannies that they got my pay and are sending my seeds. so sometime next week the big event will be starting. i am having one problem. it's the backing of my cab. i can't afford to buy any more stuff as i've sunk nearly 175 into this project already. i have no wood,( there is a possibility that i can get some in the next week or two.) will cardboard and duct tape be enough atleast for a while?....

i went to wal-mart yesterday and bought stuff for a carbon filter. so i'm going to improvise and make one of those this weekend. but if anyone has any tips on whether or not carboard for a backing would be ok or not for any or all of the duration of the grow lemme know!:wave:

8. im using white cardboard to cover my veg box and stapling it with a staple gun cause ive been too busy to build a door

do it up

9. that's good to know cuz i'll be using it. i have a mylar sheet for it so that'll take of that. also i'll have it 4 layers thick

10. well i'm going to set up the back of the cab this weekend. i went out and bought some things for the venting system. i'll vent out the top vent in the bottom... if you have any ideas lemme know!!

11. UPDATE! so i fnished putting the back of my cab on there. i have two 120 mm pc fans hooked up for ventilation. the vent coming out has a home made carbon scrubber on it. i also have some sweet fans in there to help move air about. i've got some things coming in the mail like a grow book and hygrometere. I'M SUPER STOKED MY SEEDS CAME IN TODAY. BLUE HAMMER. from sannies seeds. very cheap, very very very stealth. seeds are much smaller than i thought. gonna germ right now!!!! jeez i'm excited. i reccommend sannies to anyone who wants it. i live in the midwest and it came one week after i maild it. awesome. i'll post pics later today.

:D:D:D:D:D:hello::hello::hello::hello::D:D:wave::wave:

12. oo i also got 5 freebies of basic beer. we'll see how that works!

13. well hello everyone!!! i got my seeds in the other day, (blue hammer) from sanniesseeds.com. i germed 3 of them paper towel method. just planted them in some small seed cups. now i'm waiting for a sprout.

i have been having a heat issue. last night it sprung up to 90 in there, and is usually stayin around 80. i'll have pics up later this afternoon, but basically i have 2 120 mm cp fans that move 73 cfm. but they are pulling air through a carbon filter each. i made a carbon filter outta panty hose, and a cup holder. i have a small intake fan. just a 4 in. desk fan blowing air in, and that's not filtered. does anyone have an idea on how to bring the heat down?

14. hahah I was hitting 85 so I installed an AC unit 16 x 23 inches and only cost a hundred bucks...its frigidair

15. Your PC fans are axial, which move good air but cannot overcome much "Static Pressure". SP is measured in inches or millimeters of water. Imagine inhaling on a bong when you think of SP...

Basically, your fans don't SUCK enough to make it through those filters... and your intake desk fan is probably moving more air than the PC fans can handle. If you want to keep the PC fans, lose the intake fan and keep your intake passive. Do everything you can to lower the ambient air. Open windows in your house for cross-ventilation, A/C, etc... or just look for a bigger, more powerful centrifugal or mix-vent fan. Good luck.

16. if i get rid of the intake, would that make the exhaust fans suck more air out?

17. Not really. But no need to have a powered intake supplying more than enough air... you might as well just get rid of the filters at that point, since your seal is gone. You want negative pressure inside the box.

18. well i got rid of the intake fans still have holes there tho. and that immediately improved the suction of the exhaust. thanks man!

19. where'd you get that?