Grow indoors with the sun

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BluntStep, Mar 4, 2010.

1. I was watching that video and thought it would be quite the idea for a greenhouse.
    If some one had a house in a well populated area and wanted
    to grow but for what ever reason didnt want electric lights. They could build a
    green house with non clear material and some reflective surface on the inside like an indoor grow room.
    Then put how ever many 2 liter bottles they want in the ceiling.
    At 50 watts each it could add up pretty quick and the best part, no one from
    virtually any angle can see what you would be growing.
    Its also free light (of the right spectrum!) and indoors so you could do a
    hydro set up easy and control the temp of the room.
    My only negative thoughts would be that it might burn plants but who
    knows i dont think anyones done this lol
    Let me know what you guys think

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMAWztZ6TI&feature=related]YouTube - Use a 2-Liter Bottle as a 50 Watt Light Bulb lightbulb hack[/ame]

2. i really dont understand how this works.

3. The lights or the grow set up?

4. Haha.. cool. Pretty innovative idea.

5. I like the idea, but I don't think it creates enough lumens to be a viable light option,
    try it-do a jounal!!!

6. one day man when i have the room and cash
    i might try it and if so i will do a journal lol

7. hahahaha +rep for the find, very cool.

8. 50 watt incandescent equivalency? Keep in mind that 26watt CFLs are equivalent to a 100w incandescent bulb.

9. #9 demonofchaos, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2010
    thats really cool i might try it

but does ne one know a way to mabe magnify the light

or what stage of growing would this be good for?

10. thats kinda awesome i wonder if a prism would work with control and magnification

11. only a stoner would think that would work......o wait......

12. You'd have to put the plants a couple of inches from multiple 'bulbs' doing it that way. A better way to grow inside would be in a solarium.

13. what about overcast days?

it works for those houses because they are taller structures....not greenhouse size. thats why greenhouses are transparent because they need every drop of sunlight the gets to them. i feel like a smaller structure with say, 10 bottles to catch the light would not always be catching direct sunlight because of trees and houses and shit like that shading your structure at times.

basically what im saying is its doesnt seem that the light intensity would be consistant for many reasons....and in a controlled environment i feel consistancy is crucial

+rep regardless cuz thats def an interesting idea none the less.....so many other practical applications