Grow closet temp question. Where to place thermometer?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mjr99, Jun 11, 2009.

1. My grow closet is about 50" wide X 25" deep X 8' high and my cheap thermometers are reading 91 when placed on the wall 1 foot under the air cooled 400w and theyre reading 82 1 foot and 4 foot above the 400w . There are 6 more 42w cfls in there too. I have two mid size osilating fans as well so the air is definetly getting moved around. My only source of intake is from the cracks in the door. My question is do i have a temp problem in my grow room and where do i place the thermometer to get an accurate reading? tia.

2. Just found this, you guys buying it?

In order to know you are providing the right thermal environment for you plants through ventilation, oscillating fans etc. you need to understand the physical nature of the 'heat' in grow spaces, how it should be measured, and the mistakes that can easily be made.

Essentially there are two aspects to the thermal environment that you need to be aware of:

1. The AIR temperature
    2. The RADIANT temperature

Although obviously related, these are 2 distinctly separate phenomena and your plants have different tolerances for each.

1. Air temperature
    Your standard mercury/alcohol-bulb or digital thermometer is designed to measure the temperature of the air (But not radiant heat). This is what is being referred to in the usual growers 'rules of thumb' such as maintaining your grow above 16degC and below 30degC.

Most thermometers are only designed to measure air temperature – growers often mistakenly place their thermometer in direct light; radiant energy will warm your thermometer and give a higher than actual reading.

*Assuming your air is well mixed up by oscillating fans, it doesn't really matter where you locate your thermometer. The best spot is probably about half the way up a wall, with a piece of cardboard over it (To shade it from radiant heat), exposed to the mixed air in the grow room.

2. Radiant temperature
    Radiant temperature is the result of heat transfer bewteen objects at different temperatures without whats inbetween i.e. the air, being effected. In our case the plants are naturally at a lower temperature that the light and reflector so heat is transferred to the plants foliage from the light/refecltor through radiation. This causes the leaves to heat up. The plants can withstand much higher radiant temperatures (around 40-50degC) than they can air temperatures but if this is too high the plants can 'burn'.

The plants can withstand much higher radiant temperatures than they can air temperatures, but if this is too high the plants can “burn”.

'The hand test': Place your hand in a comfortable position for some time at the tips of your plants should be. If your hand feels “hot”, then the lights are too close, the radiant energy is too intense, and light burn may result. Do this test and raise your HID lights/reflectors periodically to keep light burn to a minimum.

Finally, monitor the conditions in your grow regularly as things are changing all the time, and you will soon get to understand the thermal dynamics of your particular grow space so you can get the most from it.

Editor's note:
    [Cannabis loves high light levels/high radiant energy levels, but exceeding their tolerance for light can result in light burn and chlorophyll leaching out of the leaves. 600's & 1000's put out a lot of light, and light burn can easily damage clones and young plants.

Light burn damage: initially the leaves look pale green (the edges may turn upwards, mimicking a Mg deficiency), then they turn yellow and finally yellow/brown as the leaves scorch.

Often you can see a circular pattern of intense light where the reflector has focused the light onto the plants. If plants outside of this intense light zone look greener and healthier, consider raising your lights.]

3. well I'm not sure if I'm 100% but the temp around the plants is going to be higher due to the light, so I would be more concerned about the temperature around the plants, thats the main area that you want to be in the 70's. and at that temp you for sure need a good intake hole. keep the intake hole low and an exhaust hole high so the hot air rises and is expelled. To benefit this process i would make the exhaust a powered exhaust with a small fan or something. you want fresh air in there as much as possible

4. *bump*

I know it's an old thread but does anybody have any thoughts on this?

5. #5 budsmokeronly2, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
    hanging directly from above, a few inches down the plant

6. It's 32 in the shade here, however a thermometer laid flat in the sun it goes up to 44 (110f). A small growbox with CFLs gets up to 37 (86f) thru the day and down to 30 (86F) overnight. The is pretty much the same whether the thermo is placed against the wall or laid flat at plant height.

Putting my hand under the CFLs is quite warm, but not hot. Growth is good, there's no signs of stress.

Considering many strains do well at around 30 in the shade, which would be much hotter in the direct sun. I think the high 30s inside may not be optimal, but is still OK if your stuck in a hot climate.