Grow box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Jaguarr29, Feb 3, 2017.

1. I created this grow box using 2x4 cut down in half (1x2). I bought 1 ballast, hood and MH bulb, 2-piano hinges and 4 bolt latches for the door, and one air conditioning unit. Everything else was donated by friends or created from scratch. 20160619_145344.jpg 20160619_145353.jpg I am running 2 HPS set ups for the flower chamber.

Attached Files:

2. Nice little box. Now that I got your pics to come up... LOL They wouldn't load for some reason. Nice setup. Don't try to overload your flower lighting. One or two plants is all I would attempt to flower in that space. Sounds like you've got sufficient lighting to grow yourself a nice little harvest there. Just keep good air movement inside the box around your plants during flower and never let the air conditioner go off during lights on. Best of luck! TWW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice.
    I wish my woodwork looked anything like that

• Like Like x 1
  4. I am using 5 gal short pots at the moment. With that i could fit six comfortably in this space. I am switching to 3 gal pots and could fit 9 if i wanted.The air conditioner is getting relocated from the grow box to the window. I think it would be better to cool the room than just the flower chamber. I think the space is 4'x5'x5'.

5. Thanks for the advice. At the moment i am using 5 gal short pots. I could fit 6 comfortably on this space. I think it is 4'x5'x5', its a decent size space. To reduce cost, i am switching to 3 gal pots. With that i could fit 9 pots in this space. The air conditioner will be removed from the box and placed in the window. I think it will be better to cool the room rather than just the flower chamber. Fresh air comes into the room from under the eaves so the fresh air intake for the box draws air from within the room.

6. Thanks for the compliment. The hardest part was not rushing it. I really wanted to get growing, so i was trying not to rush lol. Each one i build i notice improvements i could make. One day ill build the perfect grow box..lol.

7. What improvments have you noted from this one?
    The only thought I'd have is personally Id put the whole thing on wheels- given that sloping roof you cant put it right in a corner so its always blocking more area than its footprint, if its on wheels with a long power cable that'd give you the freedom to use the room for other things and move the grow out the way to get to stuff that would be behind it. But this is mainly the thought of someone who lives in a small house with a hoarder of a significant other, your probably not as bothered by the space as I am.

8. You have a great idea. That would make things much easier in a smaller space. I wish i had done that to my first grow box. It was much smaller. It was 2ft. X3ft x4ft. However my second and current growbox was designed around the constraints of the room shape and is very large. I appreciate and welcome any ideas. Thanks again for the reply.
    As far as improvements go, id like to be able to water the plants in the grow box. I want to build a drain or catch system. This way i can also test the runoff for ppm, etc..