grow box with hydro or soil

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Tryin To learn, Aug 2, 2013.

1. i have a bc northern lights producer grow box. i was wondering if any body could help me out with my root rot and i have gnats. some plants are dieing!

2. neem oil will solve both your problems.

you can trim off the badly rotted roots, carefully

3. #3 waktoo, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

Not trying to step on your toes, but I partially disagree.  Unless I'm mistaken,  neem OIL is for foliar application and will kill a plant if applied to the root zone.  Neem CAKE (or meal) is for mixing with the soil.  Unless it's effective as a top dressing (I don't know), it's a bit late to use as a gnat deterrent.  A layer of diatomaceous earth on top of your soil will kill gnat larvae, and sticky yellow paper will take care of the adults.

I can give no advice about root rot.  Never had it.  But I did remember seeing this thread about it...

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/707074-using-hydrogen-peroxide-treat-prevent-root-rot.html

If you want a full-on, no guesses answer concerning the use of neem products (especially oil in the soil), post this question in the organics forum.  Lots of blades using neem oil and cake over there.  Good luck.

4. Waktoo is correct.  Neem oil is okay for a foliar feeding, and will help reduce bugs.  It does nothing for root rot though.

Root rot is usually the result of a lack of oxygen at the root zone.  If you're in soil, you're overwatering.   Let your soil get pretty dry before re-watering.   If you're in hydro, you need to oxygenate better.  If you can specify the type of grow you have, we can help problem solve better.

5. I stand corrected. Personally Ive never run into root rot. I assumed it was some fungus or mold problem. My bad.

Neem application on the roots is great. Some bugs, fungus gnats too i think, lay eggs inthe top layer of the soil. Regular application of neem in your feed will prevent eggs from hatching, or will atleast severely deform offspring till they die.

6. Air pots will solve root rot also, neem oil will not.