grow box ventilation help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by bcharley2010, Oct 20, 2010.

1. i have a box 3'H X 2'W x 2' L
    aprrox 220w of cfl's (it gets hot in there)
    i was gonna use a few 6" desk fans at kmart for $7 each, but they took them off the shelves for the winter, now they only sell space heaters.. the 6" fans at the dro store were $30 each, way outta my price range
    the 4" pc fans are $20 each and i do not want to use low voltage fans(pc fans)
    any ideas?

2. What's wrong with pc fans? They work bro. What's the cfm ratings on the pc fans?

3. 3.6" 37 cubic feet per min
    i know they work, i am using one of those for intake and two 2" for exhaust in a seperate box now, and it is way to dry in there, cannot control the humidity at all because if if turn them off, its too hot..
    i really need fans with speeds and able to have them on a switch

4. Get rid of your intake fan

switchable power supply found at radio shack 20 dollars

carry on

5. if i removed the intake fan, it would be 95+ degrees in there

6. ok... i have alot of questions

how hot is your intake temp?

how many lights? what size of lights

what are the exact dimensions of your grow space?

what is the CFM rating of the fans you are currently using.....

something is wrong... your out take fans should work well enough....

7. #7 FineKine09, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
    an intake fan might help if you dont have enough exhaust. but if you have enough exhaust then Tihspeed is right, you dont need em. might be better use that intake fan as an extra exhaust.

if you are simply asking for where to get a circulation fan, here ya go. $20 with shipping. can probably find cheaper, found this after 2 sec search on google.

i dont know if you can use variable speed controllers on pc fans. arent they DC? but you can go to lowes and get a 4in 80cfm inline duct fan for $25, and put a variable speed controller on one of those

8. i currently have a pc box about 14"l x 5"w x 18"h with a 65w cfl and one 26w cfl. 1 4" intake(i bought it because temps were too high) and 2 2"exhaust on a 12v dc adapter..currently with temps at 88 degrees and 25% humidity ...this box is too small and a problem so i built a new one, much bigger and i dont want to use pc fans because i cannot control fan speeds and want a switch for them..

i think im gonna go with duct boosters

9. Hey there, I'm debating ventilation on my own setup. I just went to check out lowes website, and found this fan. Shop Inductor 4" In-Line Double Crimped Duct Fan at Lowes.com. I couldn't find a CFM rating anywhere on their site. Is this the 80 CFM fan you are referring to? This seems like a better option than a PC case fan if it will do the trick. Have you had experience with one of these fans?

10. well your box is so tiny and you only have a two inch exhaust... intake and out takes should be four inchs... so rip out your fans and cut the out take hole to four inches...

put your pc 4 inch fan in the out take hole... go get a switchable power supply from radio shack for 20 dollars and slow your fan down a little and walla... problem solved...

make a passive intake for your intake hole...

11. yea thats pretty much i was askin about thanks for the link, it seams like a pretty good site. i was hoping for a local store, but looks like im gonna have to order some.

and no i havent figured out how to use variable speed controllers on the pc fans, because yes they are DC and do not want to use them again, although i have figured out how to put them on a switch.

12. i have two 2" exhaust, along with the 3 " that came in the pc power supply, its not a prob anymore i have a whole new box built, but i do appreciate the help

13. yea i was lookin at a 6" duct fan not a 4", the 6" is 160cfm, and they have a 8" with a cfm of 210 to 500 max..no im not experienced with these yet, but ill let u no how it comes out if i end up using them

14. thats the one. its 80cfm. i do not think they are any better than PC fans. it basically is a PC fan in a long metal casing. but it runs on AC. PC fans may be better just for the fact that they are slim, and there are literally thousands of brands of them so you get better selection.

15. Got it, thanks. I think I need to go with something around 100-120 CFM since I'll be using a carbon filter. I agree with the brand selection. I have a thread in this same sub forum asking for advice on fans that people have used before. Feel free to drop some knowledge on my ass. ;)

16. yea thats why i think im gonna go with the 6" 120cfm duct fan, i already wired the new box to run on AC...but do you think if i used a light dimmer, i would be able to use the dimmer for a speed controller?

17. for sure, a dimmer does the same thing as the things they market as variable speed fan controllers. i use a dimmer myself, because you can fine tune the speed, instead of having just three speeds or whatever.

if youre going to use the duct fan for exhaust, then you can start with one but i think you are going to want two for your sized box. specially if you are going to put carbon scrubbers on them

18. thanks, i just got everything wired up..the dimmer works great on my 6" 250cfm duct booster. not too worried about smell, thats the only advantage of carbon scrubbers right?

19. yes.... your grow wont smell now... but its gonna reek... so good luck