grow box intake size??

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by qz420, May 12, 2006.

1. hey everyone I recently built a small grow box its 19 x 19 in. It has a 4in. 100 cfm exhaust fan at the top corner and an intake hole thats also 4 in. on the botton corner. My question was if my exhaust hole was 4 inches in diameter would my intake hole need to be bigger or is it fine how it is right now??

2. I heard the Intake should be smaller than the exhaust, I dont know if its true though

OT:

I was wondering if you could help me out, since I am in the same boat, and I would like to achieve a growbox of that size. First, would you mind saying what materials/product you used to build it? Also, would you be able to take pics? I would really, really, really appreciate it. Thank you so much for any input

3. I'd put another 4" in there, but that's me. I like a lot of unrestricted airflow if the box is real small.

4. I wouldn't take anymore advice from whomever told you that.

5. It was in those 4 videos on youtube about growing marijuana.

When he is installing the exhaust I think, thats when the narrorator says it.

6. yeah I think im going to put another intake hole somewher in the box so that my plants can get fresh air from both sides rather than just one

7. Still No Pics :eek:

I'm only asking because last night I found a box that my computer speakers came in, similar to the size of yours, and starting using this "Nashua Foil" Tape which is really smooth and thick and reflects light real nice. However, I only did the "widths" of the boxes as well as the bottom. I just think Im gonna line the "lengths" with Foil.

Anyway, I would just like to see pics so I could get an Idea of where to mount stuff and how accessible yours is, etc...

8. what I said still pertains.

9. and actually I was always under the impression your intake should be larger than your exhaust, but even Soma writes in his book that he always uses a bigger exhaust over intake....idk

lata

10. Smaller intake makes no sense. The exhaust cannot pull more through than the intake can provide, so by having a smaller intake you are limiting the effectiveness of your exhaust. Rule of thumb I have always heard is to have twice the intake area than the exhaust area.

Go run a garden hose. Then, about a foot from the end, stand on the garden hose but not enough to pinch it off completely. What happens to the water flow? It slows down because you have reduced the "intake" to that last foot of the garden hose. Same thing with air in a grow cab.