grow box 90% complete

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by valerien, Apr 28, 2011.

1. #1 valerien, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011
    Hello guys, my box is just about done. the last thing I need to do is drill a hole in the top and duct tape a container over the hole with an exhale co2 bag in it once I start germination. (according to USPS tracking I should get one of my seed shipments today).

doing 2 plants in 3'' netpots with the bubbleponics method. I'm getting blue himalayan and ak47xlowryder seeds and have not decided if I'm doing one of each or 2x ak47 to start. it depends if they are delivered on the same day!

using 'moon dust' nutrients that came with my box kit. planning on running this on 24/0 since i'm getting autos and do not want much root growth. for lights i have a 50w HPS and will be cycling out a 125w 6500k CFL to a 65w 2700k cfl a few weeks in once the autos start flowering. the 2700k bulb is a bit smaller so that there's room for the girls to grow... you'll see in the pics below what I mean.

here's some pics of what I have going on, any ideas? complaints? flames?

Thanks!

back of the case where my intake/exhaust ducts are:
    http://www.anarchs.com/val/micro/PicBk.JPG

close up of the lights:
    http://www.anarchs.com/val/micro/PicCl.JPG

zoomed out shot of the back of the box/duct work
    http://www.anarchs.com/val/micro/PicEx.JPG

entire box with door open:
    http://www.anarchs.com/val/micro/PicIn.JPG

wood panel i sanded down/drilled/painted/attached a dryer vent port and threw a panty hose leg over until make my DIY carbon filter and attached my exaust duct to:
    http://www.anarchs.com/val/micro/PicWin.JPG

2. well my first order arrived!

arrival

this was my reg order, my ak47xlowryder#2 are feminized and "should" come tomorrow considering I ordered them Friday evening/Monday morning respectively. The tracking on that order has no update since Jamaica, New York on the 25th..

I'm thinking I should just start with 2 of these and hope for females on my first run.

3. You seem good :D

4. thank you! I don't have much confidense since this is my first time but am super excited to grow my own

5. i'm starting germination right now. do i need to pour any water over the organic starger plug or wet the seed before dropping it in??

or will the bubbles + having the water right at the bottom of the netpot do the trick?

6. okay, still curious if I need to add any initial water to the seed as I drop it in the organic plug.

also, can anyone take a look at this pic for me and tell me if this is enough bubbles? it does not seem like much but I have not seen much on the specifics here on other journals. my setup has 1 airstone right now that is bubbling in between the two 3-inch net pots.

Enough bubbles for 2 plants?

edit, let me know if you want me to re-take the bubble pic. camera focused on the hydroton

7. man this setup is running HOT. i live in a hot climate and have to run the a/c constantly to keep the temp in the apartment below 80. i'm looking at a TWENTY degree increase in temperature inside my grow box currently.... maybe I should axe the CFL light

8. #8 bosey, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    It's prob the HPS that is putting out an insane amount of heat. I need to run the AC whenever the light is on. I basically fried my plants yesterday because the intake duct fell off :(

9. yeah I know CFL should be cooler than the HPS but the 50W HPS came with the box kit I purchased to make this idiot proof. if it's running 17 degrees over room temperature with just the stock setup than I'm gonna be bummed out.

i'm going to go to wally world and purchase the smallest fan I can and stick it inside to run along the lights and keep air circulating in there. another thing i noticed about this planter kit is that the exhaust is below the intake fan... seems counter intuitive knowing heat rises... such a small area though and with the fans on top of each other I'm not sure how much this matters though. and the lower the exhaust the better for co2 enrichment.

10. How hot are your outdoor temps this time of year?

11. 90 right now, will hit 115-120 by mid summer.

12. i have a duct over my intake fan so i'm not pulling the air right around the box. should i take this off? and do i need to put any water on my organic starter plug or on the seeds i dropped into them? i just have everything going right now with the water level just touching the bottom of the net pot. I'm really paranoid that I should have a t-connector and a 2nd air stone as well... the humidity has not gone up at all since adding the resevoir and bubbling system.

13. Hot damn. You will be running into some problems down the road if it is this hot now.

14. Duct is inside your box or outside? I don't think it's necessary unless you want air going in a specific direction.

15. twenty was a bit extreme, i'd say its averaging 16-17 degrees over room temp. (Currently 75 inside, 91 in box)

16. I'm dealing with temps like that too. I run ducting from my AC to my intake. Direct cooling.

17. http://www.anarchs.com/val/micro/PicEx.JPG

i have ducts going from both, exhaust is going to the outside but intake is just pulling air off the ground a few feet away with a panty hose leg over the end of it to keep anything from getting in... is the intake duct just slowing me down? I originally was not sure if i was going to go 24/0 or 20/4 for my autos and this seemed like a good way to prevent light from getting in during 'no lights' sequence.

18. yeah i thought about that as well, my wife is not going to be happy about the ducting going across our room but she'll be happier with me spending the bi-weekly sack money on her instead if this succeeds hehe.

19. #19 bosey, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    lol. If you don't have that option, then just use the exhaust for now. Unless you have a powerful fan you can use. Getting cooler air in there will help a little.

20. yeah im prepping to go buy some more ducting at wally world now. i just wired a 12 volt ac adapter from a computer router to an 80mm computer fan and it works. gonna daisy chain 5 feet of wire from an ethernet cable and attach another 80mm fan and see if it works, if so i'll put these fans in between each 5'' footing of duct.

i need answers on the water for my seedling/organic starter plug!