Gridded waffle?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by IdreamofGreenie, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Are waffle Percs typically gridded?

2. 99.9% yes. unless it is a custom

3. I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here and i'm quite anxious to see a non-gridded waffle, but if the tube had a waffle perc would it not be gridded by the definition of the waffle style? If its not a crossed grid shape it wouldn't look like a waffle to me.

4. I'm still learning my terms. Long time smoker just going sci.

Just bought a Sgw waffle perc with Luke Wilson mini 10 tree bong and am trying to learn about it.

Thanks for the help

5. I've heard gridded was the best. Is this true? Why?

6. In the case of the waffle, it has to be gridded or else it doesn't look like a waffle. That's why its called the waffle perc, it looks like a waffle.

Gridded style-percolators are great because the holes are usually on an even field and evenly distributed, making airflow to pull through all of them easier.

7. This, not to mention grids allow for significantly larger numbers of diffusion points. The purchase you made was a good one! Enjoy the new glass and please take care of it. :wave:

8. [quote name='"420Surf"']I swear I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here and i'm quite anxious to see a non-gridded waffle, but if the tube had a waffle perc would it not be gridded by the definition of the waffle style? If its not a crossed grid shape it wouldn't look like a waffle to me.[/quote]

My dwb waffle is not gridded.

The holes are all individually pierced. So yea.

9. Thanks! Any tips on keeping it safe while not in use? Wher should I leave it standing?

10. Ahh, that makes sense. So gridding is to be defined as having an extra step in going back to individually bead the previously laid hole structure. Thank you.:wave:

11. Well. Idk about that.

Some waffles have slits going down the flat part and with that it should be gridded to get good diffusion.

But dwb does his a little different and instead of making slits and grids he just pierces a bunch of holes in the waffle. It hit great. Only problem was there was a hole in the back so a good amount o smoke went through there.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SM4hcoz1MA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

12. Preston of SGW grids his waffle, Drew of DWB pierces holes with a tungsten.

I've hit both, and they function unbelievably similarly. Really, it's just two ways of achieving the same final product, which is a ton of tiny holes. Some people think the grids look nicer, but to each their own. It's all the same to me.

Where gridding really matters is when it's compared to plain old slits. A showerhead or inline that's not gridded will hit much worse than a gridded equivalent.