Green Smell While Drying

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by JerseyPiff, Dec 31, 2008.

1. I have 3 buds from 2 different Kali Mist plants hanging to dry. The smell was never extremely strong, but over the course of 2 days drying, all traces of a weed smell are gone and they basically reek of plant matter.

Any suggestions or tips to help me with this would be appreciated.

2. as i understand it this always happens, its proper curing that brings out the 'dank' smell

3. The cure is the answer for sure!:p.
    My Kush don't start to smell till at least 2 weeks in a jar after they get sealed.
    Then they smell up the whole room:smoking:

4. mine always smell like dank weed while they're There growing, although a bad cure can decrease the smell but they still smell like weedbut never like a plant, but a good cure keeps them smellin super stank..

it's hard to say whats wrong with your harvest with such little info but to me if I had to guess by the way it sounds like you harvested WAY early I only say that because you should have ALOT!! more then just three buds from 2 plants... and also when you prematurely pick or burn any weed plant is when you get that "planty" smell and taste

I hope I helped you out some
    good luck

5. Depending upon the strain it's perfectly normal as the chlorophyll breaks down.

6. Here's how I look at it: The shit weed I buy from my bro's smells awesome....cause it's fresh? Fuck no...cause it's OLD. I dont know how long it takes to go from field to street but I can only assume it's at least a month or two. During this time the buds are dried and stored/pressed into bricks. NOTHING ELSE IS DONE TO THEM.

So a jar cure is something we can do to really focus on the smell/cure...but in reality, it's not even required to obtain the smell... the smell, or terp's, comes with time and just being dry/sealed.

7. I only harvested 3 buds out of 18. They were the 3 most mature. I'll hold off the rest of my harvest for another week or so.

8. All I can say is to dry slow. 50% humidity. 70degF. air moving but not blowing on the buds. Don't dry too fast you will trap starches in the bud and it will take longer to cure and sweat those starches out. Slow drying is very important IMHO. As important as the cure itself.

9. I usually like the drying phase to last 5-10 days, depending upon the size of the buds and the strain. Then at least a week in a brown bag, then it goes into jars.

10. hey oldSkool, I never liked the brown bag method. why? I tried it twice and never liked the results. It just seemed to impart a slight flavor to the buds if you ask me. ever notice that?
    I swear I can taste ferts and whatever buds were packaged near or in for transport easily as well. Maybe I just have an over heightened sense of taste.

11. I've never had that problem. As for tasting ferts, that comes from the grower not flushing the herb properly prior to harvest.

If a batch is drying unusually fast I skip the bags and go straight to the jar.

If you use a bag make sure you don't fill it up; you just want a couple of inches of bud on the bottom, loosely piled.