Greatings

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Greatings fellow Earthlings. :laughing:

here are some of the very finest greatings i know of...

Namaste!

i've heard various translations of this, so i'll try to give a few.
    also, it should be noted that there is also a yoga stance to be done with this. hands gently flat together infront of your heart chakra at an angle of about 60 degrees, with thumbs neatly resting in the dip between your ribs.

Namaste can be translated as meaning:

I reccognise the light of life in you and all other beings.

or,

The ungodly part of me diminishes in reccognition of the godly part of you.

i also read once a break down of it's sylables to be something like this (forgive my inacuracy), Na no, Ma crappyness, ste oh bugger, i've forgoteen this one entirely. no thats not what it is... but from the other two you can see where it's going. Sanskrit really is a lovely language that crams so much meaning into so little. its so efficient. i bet the most efficient germans must love it. lol.

Enlakesh

You are another me.

so simple, so powerfully uniting, so entrusting and ensuring, so just what the world needs. it carries with it, a reccognition of the inate oneness of all, as to make even a simple greating a reminder of this singular truth, and so, brings with it great peace and harmonious relationships.

and finally....
    hi, rather than hello. or even ello/allo/ullo/ulloo.

or perhaps some well wishing. like "good day". however, i've seen this get diminished as it becomes habituation and even abreviated to g'morning or simply morning. which is why i like Namaste and Enlakesh even better. especially when introduced into english as it's very hard to become habituated to saying it without meaning it. it is indeed a very special greeting.

Namaste. Enlakesh. Shalom. Ahimsa.

2. i was watching this tv show, they were in india looking at animal/human relationship. and the girl said "namaste" to some indian in this temple. and im like "that dude from overgrow says that" lol.