Grasscity starcraft 2 tournament

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by atari, Mar 28, 2012.

1. #21 NowIsB, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
    We bracketed everyone up, and gave them whatever time they wanted to play the games vs their opponent (originally until the end of the week at the time on a sunday). We had a list of in game names, friendcodes and such. PMed countless people (no replies).

Its not our job to pair the people up and make them play their games at a specific time, if they are too lazy to actually remember to do this and play their games then they wont be in any more of these, its not that hard.

Organization =/= lazy stoners

Think this is the first time ive seen this kid post too so me being one of the creators of this tournament, not knowing who you are (very lol worthy). you had 4+ weeks to play your games too and you havent yet... lol????

in other words stop bitching about how bad this tourny is and how people arent playing games because of the horrible organizations and play your own fucking games so we can move on to next matchups.

2. this first one is sort of a feeler, to see who will actually commit and stick with it. if we cant even get people to enter a free tournament i reallly doubt anyone will throw down money to play with a prize pool. i mean yeah once their money is in the pot theyll stick with it, but it's them actually committing to that that will be the problem.

the way it's going now, i'm not spending my own money on people who don't even check the thread or respond to pm's for 3 weeks. if we get a stable player base going and eventually have another ACTIVE tournament, i will be MORE than happy to offer prizes. but the thing is we have had 2 games played, and it's not like these people haven't been around, i've seen them post and seen them active in game.

in short, this is organized sufficiently for a fun little tournament. we didn't ask much, we didn't even set definite dates for the benefit of those who may not be around on a specific date had we set it. all we asked is that you played your 2-3 games ASAP, which apparently was way too much to ask.

3. I forfeit my matches against MC. I realize that I couldn't play the times you guys wanted to do it(that was just ridiculously inconvenient timing on my part), but you wouldn't have an issue with no-shows if you made a set date and time for the matches, people who don't come on the set time get disqualified, like a real tournament. Plus I mean really, what the hell can you expect? "hai guiz just play your matches when you want to lol kthnx", obviously there's going to be some people who either bitch out or just blow it off if you let it be that unstructured.

4. [quote name='"TerryTheToker"']I forfeit my matches against MC. I realize that I couldn't play the times you guys wanted to do it(that was just ridiculously inconvenient timing on my part), but you wouldn't have an issue with no-shows if you made a set date and time for the matches, people who don't come on the set time get disqualified, like a real tournament. Plus I mean really, what the hell can you expect? "hai guiz just play your matches when you want to lol kthnx", obviously there's going to be some people who either bitch out or just blow it off if you let it be that unstructured.[/quote]

What he said. I had no idea who my opponent even was, lol he messages me on sc2 yesterday telling me that he forfeited me and I was very confused. All games should be held on the same day, no over the course of whenever we want lol.

Organize the tourney then advertise it, whoever can play on the set time will sign up, if they can't play oh well.

Also, no need to get defensive at hate on me cause you've never seen me post. I've played in many SC2 tournaments and none of them are organized the way this one was.

Just my $.02. I love to help the community and improve people's games.

Anyhow, let's try to organize a REAL tournament in the future or a PeepMode.

5. There were multiple ways to alleviate this; the giant picture of the live bracket, 2 threads in which you could have posted to ask questions or PM's you could have responded to, and you still didnt know who you are playing???? lol

And it wasn't "over the course of whenever we want", it was originally intended to take half a week to 3 days to play the entire thing. But noone was playing their games, responding to pm's, asking questions, nothing.

also for the record i could care less what other tournaments you've played in this was just an on the fly very simple thing that was meant to be more of a practice to a more refined version one day but it seems people find it too hard to even click links or respond or post to say they are ready to play even after they have signed up.

Dont blame your peoples laziness on the tournaments structure, it was about 60% of the people who signed up who didnt do jack shit other than say "im down to play" and then never were they seen again.

6. I don't get the people complaining about organization. I managed to play my first match with very little hassle, I just pm'd NowIsB and asked him what was up, it really wasn't too hard.

7. [quote name='"NowIsB"']

There were multiple ways to alleviate this; the giant picture of the live bracket, 2 threads in which you could have posted to ask questions or PM's you could have responded to, and you still didnt know who you are playing???? lol

And it wasn't "over the course of whenever we want", it was originally intended to take half a week to 3 days to play the entire thing. But noone was playing their games, responding to pm's, asking questions, nothing.

also for the record i could care less what other tournaments you've played in this was just an on the fly very simple thing that was meant to be more of a practice to a more refined version one day but it seems people find it too hard to even click links or respond or post to say they are ready to play even after they have signed up.

Dont blame your peoples laziness on the tournaments structure, it was about 60% of the people who signed up who didnt do jack shit other than say "im down to play" and then never were they seen again.[/quote]

I sense some rage. RAGE.

My point is, Its easier to have a set link with a bracket that updates after results are reported. It's a very clean way to do it, that way we don't have to search through posts to find information.

That was the point I was trying to make. Don't get butt hurt, not necessary.

Anyhow, peepmodes are better practice than Half ass tournaments. Tournaments are no fun without a prize or something.

Anyhow, hope to see you guys on the ladder. GL HF and GG

8. you mean like the one on the first post?

9. and the reason we were lenient with times were because it took like 2ish weeks to even get like half of the people to sign up, most of which flopped. if we had set dates it would have turned out just like it is right now, noone would play their games.

10. seems like atari already addressed the top part of your post lol

but in response to this,

Peepmode is cool and all but i wouldnt call it any more better of a tool than just making a lobby and playing 1v1's with some people oyu know and if oyu want some people can watch in spec mode. Peepmode mod maps only offers an easier way to pick whos playing and whos watching and it has little pets for spectators to walk around on the map for fun.

Anyways, half assed tournament or not, you knew what it was before you signed up, again, this is the first time we've done anything like this so some cooperation on behalf of the players would have made everything flow much easier, there was little to no communication other than "im down to play heres my name and friend code" as i stated before. People actually have to put in a tiny bit of effort to find times to play their person, and if you think about it (which im highly sure you havent) it allows for more easily for players to have a dynamic time range in which they can play their games. This tournament was not structured in the sense that it had set times for everyone to play, it was very relaxed and meant to be strictly for fun and learning purposes, and yet you in particular act like for you to even be interested to play, some prize for games that you havent even won let alone played yet would have to be given.

long story short; you saw what the tournament was, signed up said you were interested, and essentially stopped there. You expected this to all be sured up for you but as stated in the original post it was to be arranged on the players behalf.

11. my opponent forfeited.

anyhow, peepmode is better because you don't have to rehost after every game.

but i'm done arguing this topic because that was not my intention.

Was just trying to spread my experience with tournament games to try to make the next tournament run much more smoothly, sorry for trying to help...

12. correct, your opponent forfeited like 3 weeks after the tourney was hosted. Terry(you opponent) had posted in here a few times to say that such and such week he would only be available for a few days/hours of the weekend.

13. [quote name='"NowIsB"']correct, your opponent forfeited like 3 weeks after the tourney was hosted. Terry(you opponent) had posted in here a few times to say that such and such week he would only be available for a few days/hours of the weekend.[/quote]

Alright well let's take all this time wasted bitching and invest it in bettering our sc2 skills