Grasscity Literature 101

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sam_Spade, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Books and magazines are actually included in the Great Indoors sub-forum. I've messaged some mods a couple of times to see if they were interested in creating an entirely new section dedicated to all literature. They never got around to it I guess.

2. [​IMG]

I don't think its necessarily such an amazing book, rather its such an amazing message. Its so empowering to understand that you're brain is this living changing thing and you can shape its perception with your actions, attitudes etc.

3. Sum by David Eagleman.

It's pure genius in my opinion. Such a great imaginative read I could not put it down. If I had one book for the rest of my life, this would be among my top choices. Even for a very casual reader it is a quick read so there is no excuse not to read it. I finished it in one sitting in under 3 hours and went back into it re-reading the ones that struck me and the ones that needed a little more attention to think about.

4. The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

Frankenstein - the original by Mary Shelley - actually my favorite horror story even for how complicated the language is

5. #27 greenbrad420, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. Sooo good and intense! (True Story)

[​IMG]

7. First pick was non-fiction...

Next pick...sci-fiction...without a doubt....DUNE

[​IMG]

8. So I devoured Sum on wednesday afternoon. What a great recommendation, I really, really enjoyed it. Thoughtfully and poignantly written, simple and fluid. Thanks for that one, I'm sure I'll read it again sometime soon to redigest the ideas.

I got Fup in the mail yesterday, I'm hoping to breeze through it this weekend at some point, after I finish another book I'm currently reading.

Thanks for all the suggestions, gents!

9. Just finished this:
    [​IMG]

Great depiction of 19th century poverty and the slow dawning of a new world.