Grasscity Literature 101

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sam_Spade, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Salutations and Greetings,

I want this to be a book-recommendation thread. There are sections on grasscity for film and music and television and video games, but none for literature or books.

Everybody gets to make one recommendation of a book to read. Any book, any genre, any subject, fiction or non-fiction.

Feel free to talk and discuss, but the point of this exercise is to distill a wide selection into a single piece of literature. The trick is; don't view the recommendation as a way to represent yourself, be a little impulsive, think of a book you enjoyed and spoke to you. Think of a book that you were sad to close. Never felt that way? Pick one and see how it hits you.

If I were to read only one more book in my life - what should that book be?

2. Only 1?!!?!

[​IMG]

3. #4 *ColtClassic*, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. #6 TesseLated, Aug 3, 2011
    Well now one is totally unfair....

How about one from each different genre? One is so limiting...lol.

For now...

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies -Jared Diamond

*also published under the title Guns, Germs and Steel: A short history of everybody for the last 13,000 years

[​IMG]

5. #7 Anehum, Aug 3, 2011
    [​IMG]

A must read.

6. Hands down, Fup.

[​IMG]

7. no explanation needed.
    [​IMG]

8. I think a literature section's been in the works for quite a while now, not sure when it's coming though.

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Heroin-Demoniza-Th-Metzger/dp/1559501774/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t]Amazon.com: Birth of Heroin & the Demoniza (9781559501774): Th Metzger, T. Metzger: Books[/ame]

10. [​IMG]

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

11. [​IMG]

Where The Doors got their name.

12. So many great recommendations!

I've read many of these, others I've been meaning to read for years.

Pale Blue Dot and On the Road both have a special place on my bookshelf.

Huxley, Clarke and Diamond all have strong presences too. I could recommend a lot of other great reads from the same authors. I actually have a first edition Aldous Huxley on my bookshelf from '29.

History of Sexuality and Faust have been on my list for awhile now.

Fup sounds like a great read, the kind of surrealism I love. I'll be sure to add it to my list. This Is Your Brain on Music also looks good. I love books about the mind and neuroscience. And I've yet to read a full biography on Feynman, I only know the details of him from broader books on the subject of his work. Definitely looks good.

For those who found Heart of Darkness a compelling read;

[​IMG]

13. mmmm^ yeah..like Cormac's style....The Road and No Country were great reads

14. We had to read The Road in my 12th grade English class. I hated it. I like the idea, but the story dragged out for too long. The book could've been cut in half and still conveyed the same feeling/message. And what's up with his punctuation? No quotation marks or apostrophes?

15. You just mentioned a couple reasons why I love his work.

His stories are about nihilism, desolation and and isolation. They are about arduous transition and the entropy of violence. His stories would not be able to convey the same sensations and messages without seeming to stretch out environments.

His writing style is peculiar but not nessecarily unique. Literary greats like Jose Saramago and T.S. Elliot have used similar techniques. I find it very liberating. It lets my mind largely set the tone and pace of dialogue depending on my interpretation of narrative events.

When I first encountered this style, I hated it too. I found it very confusing and disjointed. There is a technique to read it, and demands it's reader be more than peripherally engaged. After persisting through several similar books, I've developed a passion for it.

16. Some of my favorite themes. I like to read about the meaninglessness of man. I just wish McCarthy would've kept it short and sweet like Kafka does.

[​IMG]

It had the opposite effect on me. When it would go into long dialogues between the man and the boy, I'd lose track of who's talking and kind of zone out. I missed a few key pieces of the storyline because of that.

Another one of my favorites. I can't believe no one's mentioned it yet:

[​IMG]