gram per watt rule

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LBH, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Is that wet or dry?

2. Wet for sure.

3. If your refering to Jeorge's book (The Bible), it is dry weight (bud) no lumber and no lying. (pg 78)

0.5 grams per watt per 30 days in the bloom area.

4. now thats a good question, my budd is going to be using 3 1000 watt HPS dul arc bulbs in a fairly small 10x12 room, so he giong for the gram per watt rule himself...i honestly might say thats after you've hung them for a couple days, just a gernearl rule its give or take few g's in my opinion. ya kno?

5. gram per watts came from bible its refers to dry weight accomplished after harvest. but it is by no means guaranteed as you all well know

6. never heard of this gram per watt rule before. So we are supposed to be getting .5 g dry but for every watt of light in our rooms? hmmm

7. It is not a "rule", but a benchmark.

If you can hit that benchmark, it is believed that you have your act together.

I consider myself lucky that I almost get 1/3 to 1/2 of that benchmark.

I got my quality down, now I am working on quantity.

8. per 30 days so an 8 week flower cycle would be 1g/watt

9. I think a gram per watt is very difficult goal. I think you could only hit this with SOG, and CO2 with a perfect set up. I will be happy to get .25.

10. I'll get it eventually. I'm getting there,lol, if I don't get at least .5 this time around, I'll eat my hat but should be closer to .75-.85

Fingers crossed

400w hps, 4 plants

[​IMG]

11. Nice scrog lbh, I wanna try that method out once i get some good indica babies going. You will have to give me some pointers!:)

12. Budslinger is the man,....I'm still a rookie, he's been holding my hand the whole way, in fact, I think I owe him another rep,lol. I'm happy to tell you what I know but I would certainly pass your thoughts by his desk as well.

13. Nice looking SCROG but the 1 gram goal is every 30 days, so if you get .85g / watt on your SCROG and it took 60 days of flowering, it will still only be .425g/watt. I have never known anyone to do it, but I think it's possible.

14. A gram per watt is a gram per watt. Its just a good way to measure a growers success. Throwing the every month thing in there is just a different goal to achieve and it really throws off the accuracy of the method and is highly in favor of those growing fast flowering indicas. If you think about it the plain old gram per watt goal is a much more accurate way to judge one's success due to the huge differences in the flowering times of different strains.
    Using the gram per watt per month goal and identical grow rooms, nutrients, etc. in which senario would the gram/watt/month goal be easier to achieve?
    1.Growing a 12 week Sativa using soil, or 2. Growing a 6 week indica using aeroponics? Obviously the grower with the 6 week indica could achieve a gram per watt per month much easier than than the grower with the sativa. But does that make him a more successful grower? The grower with the sativa would have to produce double the yield using the same wattage to achieve the same gram per watt per month goal! But if we looked at that same situation using the plain old gram per watt goal you could get a much more acccrate and balanced view of which growers methods were more successful.
    If were going to use a method to measure eachothers success it has to be one that does so accurately regardless of what strain or growing method one uses.
    CAN YOU DIG IT???? :cool:

15. My 2nd grow using 400w HPS in a 20L NFT tank with 4 plants, Nirvana seeds AK-48 I got about 17oz from a wardrobe that was 1m wide x 0.6m deep x 1.8m tall.

No CO2, no advanced nutes, just good water and lots of attention to pH and TDS

Just under 500g dried and trimmed from a 400w light - not bad eh?!!

One bud dry weight was over 3.5oz - bigger than a 2litre coke bottle!

I'll grab a pic

16. here we go

pic one - the bud next to the lighter was the heavy
    weight DSC_0018.jpg

pic 2 when cut down - the 3.5oz monster - after it was dried!

Attached Files:

17. #17 southwesterly, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
    The longest bud in pic 4 on the far right wasn't the heaviest but was about 3 feet long and just over 3oz!

18. The GPW benchmark is for dry weight, and I agree it has nothing to do with how many days/months but refers simply to finished product. And it is very doable for a grower with a little experience and a decent setup, does not require a "perfect" setup. It also depends on many factors such as strain, conditions, number of plants, and type of lighting -- a watt used by a CFL will generate less light than a watt used by a HID, so don't expect to hit this benchmark with a CFL grow.

19. It does refer to finished product, but......

How long it took, how much light it took it took, and how much you got.

It is yield/rated over time.

Regardless of strain, method, or # of plants.

I also add in POTENCY to the equation.

What good is a big yield of some weak product?

If your gonna grow, grow something worth the hassle/liability. IMO

20. I agree, different growing techniques and strains are going to vary greatly, however the gram per watt still has to have another varible, wheather is be per harvest, per 30 days, etc. Maybe a more acurate unit of measure would be grams / KWH?