Grafting clones to trees

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by p_dj, Jan 11, 2007.

1. i was talking to a friend at work about middle school science class. and before anyone ask if im in middle school ill let you know im 27 we were just talking about it somehow. So anyway he was telling me that when he was in class the science teacher told them you can split a limb off a maple tree, but not totally remove it, and place a sunflower seed and push branch back against tree and tie rope around tree to hold it up. Then as the tree heals the seed germs and sprouts from the branch you split,so it just grows out the side of tree looking like a branch and recieves its water and nutrients from the tree. What do you guys think will it work with a pot plant? You would prob have to plant it on the side of tree facing a field for light. If anyone doesnt understand ask and ill try to explain it better.

2. what im wondering is 1.has anyone heard of this? 2.would there be issues as to what the plant absorbs from the tree? like sap or diff nutes that trees prefer and cannabis doesnt 3.if this does work what type of tree would be best and heal the fastest? 4.where do the roots grow? 5. would it be better to start with a seed or clone?

3. I was wondering the same thing last week when my roomate was talking about his grandmother grafting lemon trees.

4. Lemon trees,apple.oarnge you name it! the buds would end up with the fragrence of whatever type tree you use, i was thinking pine trees but dont pine needles make the soil they grow in very acidic? to the point you have to use lime just to grow grass under them? The question im wondering most,is there a certain tree that i might have better luck? like do citrus/fruit trees have more acidic values as they produce citric acids in their fruits? IF someone gives me comformation this will work and how i will be doubling the amount of plants i intended to grow this season:D

5. I read about someone grafting a cannabis plant with a hops plant, it seems they are relatives. But the guy said that the roots are needed for the production of THC, you couldn't use the Hops roots and cannabis top, it had to be cannabis root and hops top. so according to that guy, the cannabis plant would survive, recieving water and nutrients, but wouldn't have the blueprints to make the THC. Me, I'm not really sure, I've never tried grafting or fully know if THC is produced at the roots or not.

6. what if you used something hollow like a reed or cornstalk,and put a seedling in it with some rooting hormone around the hole you carve for it? can anyone confirm that u need the root system in order to produce THC/?

7. OK .....First of all THC is NOT produced anywhere within the MJ plant.....THC & CBD and all the other goodies......production takes place within the Trichome only on the outside of the plant

Grafting 101..... MJ can be grafted to Hops root stock and grow MJ just fine and it gets ya' just as high as its sisters
    It is best to graft High Quality cuttings on to wild hemp root stock....Did alot of that in Mn.
    When ya' have perfected grafting you can grow say 5-7 (But in theory as many kinds as ya' have branches) different kinds on one root stock all finishing at different times....
    Grafting is more than sticking a cutting in a cut root stock....the Cambriam(sp?) layers must meet up or the cutting will wilt and die

8. also just as a reminder why it works with the hops root stock is because hops and cannibis are cousins in the plant relm.

9. so it does indeed need to be related to the plant it is grafted too? and a tree simply wont work? damn that makes me sad but i do like the idea of having 5 diff strains growing on one stalk cuz i like to mix it up and have diff budz all the time-thx for the response dr.budgreengenes and u too deafeningsilanc for further confirmation but i guess the idea is to grow a hemp plant and graft diff strains to it? is this the best use of the graft?is it possible to remove grafts and add new ones as they flower and mature and keep the same base plant in flower indefinately like in a hydro bubble bucket on full lst so there is many branches?

10. It seems to me that if you want to experement with something like that then you should just give it a try and see what happens.

Peronally I would suspect that if you wanted to graft it on to something like a tree, that you would need to choose a tree that naturally had a PH very close to the optimum ph for MJ, but that's just a guess.

11. yes mycroft thats why im asking the questions before i try 10 things that have a snowballs chance in hell of working lol ,where i live there isnt a whole lot of options for outdoor growth simply because our bow hunting starts just as plants are flowering and we lose alot to hunters that are out scouting pre season and stumble upon them,then they either call cops or steal the pot:devious: so im just trying to come up with some stealthy disguises to try to end up with more bud in my jar:smoking: thx for replies guys

12. if you could make something like this work. it could change growing forever.

but im stoned so it might not :D cool idea, too

13. This takes some prep work we used existing fields of Hemp that have been there since the 40's one of the fields is over 250 acres....EZ to hide in all of that
    If ya' really wanna do this ya need to Practice a lot .....you are going to need to be very clean/sterile and good with a scalpel in the field
    As far as avoiding us Hunters out scouting learn to plant in areas that have no interest to Deer have no interest to Hunters.
    The best way to avoid detection is to flower only lil' clones....don't put them out until August they will grow into a spike-o-bud about 18" tall very hard to see when everyone is lookin' fer' lil' christmas tree profiles.....Avoid being "Profiled by the Man"...lol

14. wow id love to just see 250 acres of hemp that sounds awesome,and dont get me wrong i hunt so i dont have anything against it ,its just i live in a fairly large city so the wooded areas around city are penetrated pretty well with hunters and even the bad spots lol-i saw 13 hunters on opening day this year and i was bordering a river on one side and private property behind me and prison land to one side / all before noon lol-i wish i had private land to hunt on but i wouldnt grow on it,or would i?:rolleyes:

15. Man I just take it for granted that I have axcess to about 6,000 acres of Private land and alot of Timber and Public land up here in the hills.....I hunt almost every day Bow,Muzzle Loader,Pistol,Rifle .....Deer,Elk,Bear,Lion,Grouse,
    pheasant....and LOTs of Yotes....Don't grow more than a plant or two on yer' own land

16. ya im trying to pik locations close to water and that are a bit of a pain in the azz to get too,hopefully ill get the cloning thing figured out so i can be sure to have females, i have prob 4 solid spots planned and i might be able to do 2 at each location if im lucky ,but 3 are a 45 min drive away so if there is a way to not have to go out more then 1 time a month id love to hear it, i plan to plant directly in ground but i will put in my own soil and mulch over the ground to hold in moisture. any other helpful hints?is there any possible way to say graft a branch of a plant to a tree and have it draw water from tree but at same time remain planted in the ground itself???:rolleyes: was it you dr.green that posted about cutting out a blackberry patch and carving rooms?i liked that idea.

17. what about the graft to tree
    ^^^^^^^

18. p_dj,

What you are referring to is called layering. It is a method of propagation used for wooded plants. Woody plants are those plants that have woody stems or barks. Trees are the biggest ones that fall into this category. MJ is not a woody plant and does not have bark. Therefore I do not believe you can layer a pot plant to a tree. I am not familiar with the Hops plant but, DrBudGreengenes sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Here is a good link if you are interested in the "how to" of layering.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8701.html

19. Are you willing to do some prep work to the area?.......we will need a few things.....
    some 1" pcv pipe and 4 1" pvc caps
    2 -milk jugs per hole
    Prep the jugs by siliconing two 6"pieces of pvc into them and poking 4 holes in the side at the bottom on the side facing the plant (add 1/2 Lb of water crystals)
    4-5 gallon buckets per plant hole
    10 Lbs of water holding crystals per hole
    enuff carpet samples to cover the bottom of a 8 foot in diameter hole
    Prep the buckets by putting a 1 foot long piece of pvc pipe in a hole in the top of each one seal it in with silicone drill 1/4" holes around the bottom 2" up on the side on 2 of them and put several 1/2" holes in the top of 2 of them..(add 1lb of water crystals to each bucket)
    As much peat moss as you can safely carry to the site

At each spot dig a hole 16-18 inches deep and at least 8 feet in diameter 10 or 12 is better and dig a hole in the center 2 feet deeper 3 feet in diameter set the dirt aside line the bottom of the center hole with carpet samples add 1 foot of peat moss to the hole and 3-4 inches of soil and mix well then add 5Lbs of dried blood and 5 Lbs of Bone Meal mix that all up now add some bat shit if ya' wanna 1Lb would be good now add 1Lb of the water crystals and mix in

Now bury two of the buckets we built (the two with the holes in the top) in the hole with the pcv pipe stickin up and cover them with dirt line the rest of the hole with carpet samples.

dug two holes deep enuff to bury the other two buckets so that they are 6" under the final grade line of the hole those two bucket should be the ones with the holes drilled in the bottom now place the milk jugs in the hole and put dirt around them.

Make sure that the buckets and jugs are spaced out around the center where the plant will go now spread the rest of the water crystals out on the carpet.... mix what peat ya' have left with the dirt from the hole and put it back..............now fill the buckets with water and wait fer spring.........if ya' don't live in the desert this will give ya' more than a month between visits

20. that is so complicated and confusing is there anyway you could make a clearer instruction with pictures possibly?

also i was wondering if people knew more about grafting becuase i have an orchird of plums pears and apples that i could graft weed onto and it sounds incredibly strealth and interesting