Graduating college, where shall I move?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by J2THERAGE, Jan 23, 2013.

1. I'm graduating from University of Oregon in Spring, and have a sufficient amount of money to start off for my next chapter in life (for a year or so). I am graduating with an Environmental Studies degree with a Minor in Geology. I am leaning more towards the options that involve getting situated, rather than traveling for a year (although I have considered it). What should my next move be?

-Move to Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada and find work (as I am a dual citizen)
    -Move to Seattle, Washington and enjoy the city life/environmental opportunities
    -Move back to Portland, which has many of the same advantages as Seattle
    -Move to Las Vegas, my brother lives there and it would be an exciting few years
    -Move to Boulder, Colorado, which has great snowboarding and jobs in my ideal field
    -Move to Montana and try to find work at Yellowstone
    -Any ideas about the East Coast?
    -Travel Europe for half of a year

All these choices sound ideal, and my main goal is to find a job in which my interests apply (enviro/geol). Keep in mind I'm 21 and like to party so Night-life of the city is essential as well. Thank's for your time GC, I'd love to hear some stories about what routes you took after graduation.
    (P.S. I will be using my spring break to get acquainted with whatever option I choose, dealing with resume stuff and familiarity of the area)

2. California isn't an option? That would be my first choice

3. boulder by far

4. Las Vegas or Travel Europe for half of a year. Washington's also good.

5. Vancouver is lovely man.

Boulder has a lot of transient people as it is predominantly a college town.

6. Damn bro, i wish i had your options lol.

I'd go to vegas and Europe. Boulder, Seattle, and portland are tight tho...real tight. Go with your gut man.

7. motherfucking yellowstone [​IMG]

8. California is an option too, although its very expensive to live there. I also have the option of staying here in Eugene. There are a lot of jobs here along the Willamette and McKenzie River. I just really gotta figure it out because things can fall apart if not planned accordingly.

9. I love oregon so i would say stay here. Well that is if you enjoy outdoors stuff like fishing/hunting/or camping that kinda stuff

10. Washington or Colorado. You can always get involved in the legal pot market to make extra money or as a fall back job.

11. Boulder bro. I lived and worked in the neighborhood a long time ago. Nowhere near my final destination, which is where I am now, but not a bad place nevertheless.

Colorado is a paradise if you can find your spot.

12. Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegas!

13. Wow dude congratulations! I wish I was in your position and had those options. Whatever it is good luck!

14. I'd say travel Europe!

15. In what ways could I apply my enviro/geology degree in Vegas? There is all sorts of pollution issues, and also there is great geological establishments such as Red Rock and/or Hoover dam which undoubtedly would have jobs.

16. Go back packing in Europe and experience the world

17. Only thing about traveling Europe is if I didn't get a job in that country then I would come back to this country with no resources. I'm not gunna be one of those peoples that move back with the parentals after the party is over in college.

..someone post an inspirational story about how they flourished after college

EDIT: I'm honestly thinking about buying a motor home/RV off of craigslist and just traveling

18. If it was me Colorado. Weed is legal there however they get a ton more sunshine per year than Washington.

19. I say come over to WA. It's really pretty here :D

20. This ^ and WA is also a legal state and we take massive shits on CO...

Jk jk...but seriously move here haha