Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Government job with MMJ recommendation? If I can pass a drug test, can I still be denied work?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by canadadry9, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Good evening everyone,
    I want to get a MMJ prescription but I am worried about getting a government job in my future. I am currently studying civil engineering in California and chances are that I'll be working with the government a lot in my future. I am wondering if getting a recommendation (Not a state card) will be visible in a background check?I use marijuana almost every day and don't plan on stopping even if I don't get a doctor's recommendation. It relieves my migraines, helps me sleep, and heals my soul after a long day's work. But, I've been reading tons of forums and finding very ambiguous answers. 

So here's what if really boils down to for me: if when looking for a new job (probably 2 years from now) and I prepare by detoxing my body weeks ahead of time and pass any drug test, will they have ANY way of finding out that I have a MMJ recommendation?? What about 20 years from now if I don't have the rec anymore, will it still be somewhere deep in my records? 

Last, I would like to hear some stories, if any exist, about people who were denied work based on their MMJ rec. If so, were you denied because you failed a drug test or admitted to having a rec? or is it because they somehow found out?

Thanks in advance! 

2. It's tough to say for sure man every situation is different with these types of things. My job is technically a government job and to get hired I had to be cleared by an FBI background test (no drug test though). I have an mmj rec and when I first got it I stupidly got the card too but still I was cleared and am working at the job now. I was worried though

3. that's reassuring to know that you were able to pass an FBI background test even with a card! thanks for the response :)

4. Government shutdown I thought made it so govt. workers don't get paid?

The government shutdown ended

6. What? LOL I didn't even no...