Got some Betta Fish

Discussion in 'Pets' started by chet youbetcha, Sep 25, 2012.

1. And they are the shit. I have to do an animal behavior lab for one of my classes and figured these would be sweet and fairly easy to design an experiment around

Admiral Swanson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's got pretty badass dragon-esque fins lol. And he's all blue with an almost neon purple

Named after Ron Swanson for his similar level of alphaness

[​IMG]

he lives with vanna

[​IMG]

She's nearly see through white with a red tipped rear fin

He is yet to pepper her angus

[​IMG]

But he will soon

And then there is Murph the Master Betta in another tank by himself

[​IMG]

he's a meaty looking dude with full silky fins, he's bright red

2. Dude wtf don't put those in the same tank they'll kill each other

3. #3 chet youbetcha, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
    The two males are separate from each other. One male has a female in his tank but he has gotten used to her and I'm hoping they make some babies. So it's all good in the betta fish hood

4. Do they smoke with you

5. I used to have two of those, until I realized they make your house smell like fish ass if you don't change their water everyday.

6. I almost started to breed these guys. But then I looked further into it and I really couldn't maintain the possible abundance of babies. It's also a bit more work than other fish breeding, guppies were easy as pie but I also had bigger fish to feed so the abundance was balanced.
    All I can say is that make sure you read as much as you can about breeding them so you are prepared for it. I know at one point one of them will start to eat the eggs before they bring them up to their breeding net they create.

They are such pretty fish to watch I'd almost consider getting another one since I already have everything for them. It's just the water changes become a pain and I have one tank going right now with an oscar in it so that seems to be enough right now.

7. I find the history about beta fish very interesting. Also that in some countries they still beat on beat fights.

Siamese fighting fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In the wild, bettas spar for only a few minutes or so before one fish backs off. Bred specifically for fighting, domesticated betta matches can go on for much longer, with winners determined by a willingness to continue fighting. Once one fish retreats, the match is over. Large amounts of money are wagered during these fights, with potential losses as great as a person's home.

Seeing the popularity of these fights, the king of Siam started licensing and collecting these fighting fish. In 1840, he gave some of his prized fish to a man who, in turn, gave them to Dr. Theodor Cantor, a medical scientist. Nine years later, Dr. Cantor wrote an article describing them under the name Macropodus pugnax. In 1909 the ichthyologist Charles Tate Regan, realizing that there was already a species with the name Macropodus pugnax, renamed the domesticated Siamese fighting fish Betta splendens.

8. Love the post! I lol'd and went awww. Great names especially Master Betta!