Got raped? You go to jail too

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by lilro, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Alleged Rape Victim Jailed to Ensure Testimony - ABC News

Article for those who prefer text over video.

I'm a little torn on what the right thing to do is here.

On one hand, it's fucked up to jail the poor girl just to make her testify. On the other hand, her testimony could prevent more girls from being raped.

Tough situation any way you cut it.

2. It's not tough to me. If you didn't commit a crime you shouldn't be imprisoned. What about innocent bystanders that get shot in a drive by? Should they be forced to snitch too?

3. That's why I say it's a hard situation... It's unfair for her to be forced to testify, but if her testimony could save other girls from being raped...

If you were the father of a girl who got raped because she didn't show up to testify, how would you feel?

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it's a tough situation either way. The girl doesn't deserve to be locked up, but if her not testifying means a rapist going free and doing the same thing to someone else...

I mean, fuck. Either way, it's shitty.

4. Yeah I would want her to testify, but I wouldn't put her in population with criminals who don't take a liking to snitches. Put her in like a temporary group home or room in a rehab center or something, not jail.

5. To be fair, she's in juvenile hall, not a penitentiary.

I know that may not make much of a difference, but it's worth pointing out. :p

I agree that they should have found another way to "hold" her until testifying. Granted I'm not even sure whether they should be able to 'force' her to testify... It's fucked up all around.

6. How is it a tough situation?? she cant be forced to stand witness, she has the right to refuse to talk on the stand...so therefore to hold her without charge is unlawful detention, to let it go and not say anything sets a bad precedent, next there holding people all the time for the good of the community without charge...everything starts somewhere and when people let it slide and not say anything it escalates.

7. #8 *guest, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

I don't think they would have held her if she simply refused to testify. I think the problem is that she said she would testify, didn't show up, so they scheduled another court date because she still said she'd testify, and this time they're like "but we don't believe you're actually going to show up, so we're gonna hold you."

Still fucked up, but I can see the other side of the situation too.

EDIT: To be clear, I still think they should have found a better way to ensure that she would testify. Sticking her in juvenile hall doesn't at all seem like the best way to go about it.

8. #9 Annonymous7189, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
    more rapes happen in juvenile hall than in prison.

It's true

9. The ends don't justify the means.

10. This is essential in order to make sure she is being toaotoly serious. Make sure she is not the perpetrator, and is indeed telling the truth, before you can take away somebody elses freedom. Do you know how often women lie and get away with murder?? these are peoples lives we are talking about!!! have some respect for due process.

11. I thought about it and the only way this could of happened is if she was supenoed to appear at the first trial didn't show, was found in contempt and is being held in contempt awaiting the second trial, fucked up yes, legal yes, kind of makes sense.

12. It's a big gray area because as bad as rape is and as much as it does happen. I'm sure a lot of girls cry wolf as well.

This is why if I am ever questioned by the police again my eyes were closed. If you witness something then can make it a crime not testifying.

13. #14 smoker209, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
    Anyone know if they have any legal grounds to do this.

That "expert" in the video didn't actually say anything other than the higher ups thinks its good so they must be justified.

Kidnapping much?

*edit What could have happened was that she brought the charges up on the person later decided not to testify hence her being in jail now.

Original question still stands though.

14. It's better to let a guilty person go free than to lock up an innocent person. /thread

15. Doesn't matter if she COULD prevent possible rape..

But that she's being FORCED to testify.

Dat shit cray

16. that is some fucked up logic. you would let chikatilo run free, rather than have his victims held to testify?? that is a victim mentality. these women are being empowered by being given the chance to stay and testify. plus, say the perpetrator was being lied about?? if she does not stay and prove her case she could be lying.

you would lock up an innocent man in jail without proof?

17. Yeah, I would rather have that. Innocent people should not be in jail. That's why you're supposed to prove someone guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a trial. Because it's fucked up to put an innocent person in jail just for the sake of closure. That's not justice. Justice does not leave collateral damage. End of.

18. Why wouldn't she want to testify?

19. #20 Thunder Struck, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
    Interesting.