Got laid off from work today

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Solid State Society, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Well today I got laid off from my job at a data centre. I had it for roughly a year and this morning they called me saying to go to the office when I arrive. I did just that, and my manager told me that I'm no longer required to come in as the company is downsizing. Bullshit really. I have a hunch it's because I'm young, making a decent wage for my credentials versus the people who've been working there for decades. I knew they did not want to tell me what's really going on. So here I am again with student loans et all, looking for my place in the world. I want to start a business because it seems like it's the only way to truly make it in this world. The days of "going to school, getting a degree and getting a good job" is over....unless you come from a wealthy family who owns a business so that you may work in the family and/or inherit the business one day. J.O.B = Journey Of the Broke. This is not a post to sulk and whine about what happened. Actually I'm happy this happened to me because this means that there's better opportunities waiting to bless me. Time to spark up a doobie, listen to some good music and meditate on the next move in my journey... :smoke:  If anyone else is in my situation remember that it always gets better, don't believe in the struggle because it's all a figment of your imagination. Be happy because you're forever blessed.

2. The company said "Merry Fucking Christmas" I know how that goes.

you do have a great attitude, i WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.

3. Can't you apply for unemployment insurance? I'd totally do that if I got laid off. I make roughly 2400 every month, so I get 1200 every month for doing nothing.

Sounds pimp to me son

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Don't you get severance pay if they lay you off? 

5. Sorry to read this, but it's nice to see your positive outlook. Sometimes things have to come to an end in order for new beginnings to happen. Good luck with your new adventure.

6. I'm in the same boat without a job. Lost mine 10 days ago for someone elses mistake that I signed off on and the company lost a big customer. They gave me a severance package and already got unemployment process started. Stay positive and you will bounce back and maybe find something that you enjoy better and pays more.

I dont do drugs, I set plants on fire and breathe.

7. #8 9xKitsun3, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
    I know you don't smoke weed, I know this; but I'm gonna get you high today, 'cause it's Friday; you ain't got no job... and you ain't got shit to do. - smokey

8. I like your attitude and ambition. You'll be alright, you've got an attitude and skill set it seems that is too great for that place anyway. Start something for yourself while you're young. I work a full time job but whatever money I earn and time I have outside of that goes towards studying and working towards starting my own internet startup. Whatever you're passionate about will find a way to manifest itself.

9. Unfortunately, no. I have to work for more than 5 years with the place. I worked for about 1. So technically, I guess I was fired without reason

Damn. Well, I guess you have a fresh start now. Find something you want to do and start submitting applications. Good luck.