got fans, got a 9v adapter now what?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by KingBeAr001, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Hey im in the middle of making my grow box ive got 120mm Computer fans with ball bearings etc and ive also got a 9v adapter from an old phone. My fan has red, black and white cables but my adapter has black, red, yellow and green cables. Ive had a go at working it out thinking that just the red and black cables would be needed but that didnt work. Could someone please tell me what ive gotta link up to make it work.

I live in the uk but i doubt that wil make much difference when only useing 9v

Any help would be great. cheers

2. just thought id post up some pics of my box so far to see what you lot think, ive only made the box up so far. But its all completley sealed with silicone and the front of the drawers are all light proof. ive ordered 1 blue and one red envirolights and the fittings to attach it to the box and ive got 2 120mm ball bearing computer fans and grills (1 in and 1 out). Ive also ordered 4 grapefruit feminised seeds.

Everything i need should be here in a couple of days o and i forgot to mention that ive got a carbon filter and timers.

Attached Files:

3. I have 2 120mm fans i need to wire too so im looking for the same info. I heard 9v's (12v standard) are good to keep the speed down so they dont make too much noise and extract too fast.

I like the grow box. IDEA: Take the 3 drawers on the right that you put up, cut off the backs (the storage part), glue the fronts all together into a long bored of drawer fronts. Now you can take that off and on whenever you need to and it still looks like you have a working dresser. W00t w00t :smoking:

4. can any one help? maybe i have the wrong type of adapter of something? if so which ones are best?

My seeds come on saturday ive got some feminised "grapefruit" seeds from "feminised seeds". And growell rang me today to say that my lights arnt in stock but should have them by the end of the week.

And heres a pic of a feminised oasis plant i grew last year in my wardrobe in a home made box. The pic is just after its final trim-up jus seconds before i put it in to dry.

Attached Files:

5. You want to connect your 120mm computer fan in the 120v ?? I would like to do this me to...I have a very powerfull 120mm fan taht move too much air and make a lot of noise. I dunno if I can install a speed controller on a fan like this. I connect it directly in the 120v outlet.

steeve

6. im guessing that you need a 12v adapter to power a 12v fan are you sure u made good connections? did u try different combinations of wires? ill tell u how mines hooked up.

My adapter puts out 6v and my fan is 12v my fan had 3 wires red black and yellow i hooked up the red and black to the 2 wires comming off the adapter, taped it up and plugged it in and it works fine.

7. My envirolight was delivered today, but i cant work out how to mount it sideways? have any of you got any pics of how youve mounted your envirolights?

8. Today ive fitted the envirolight and my 2 fans all ive got left to do is paint the inside of the box matt white. But so far im well pleased with the out come, my friend was in my room the other day and i told him about the plan. Then i said can you see the box? he looked for about 15mins and then i told him where it was!. It even runs silent!, Ive also fitted some draught diverter around the door to make a proper vacum for the fans and to prevent any light leakage. My 3day old Grapefuit seedling will be going in its home in around 30 seconds.....

Please excuse the picture quality as ive jus resized two 8.2 mega pixel photos with paint

Attached Files:

9. Be sure that your red wires go to red and your black to black. there is some fancy fans that have lights and temp sensors on them. that would be what the yellow or white wires would be as far as I know. Also make sure your adaptor is DC output. I had a couple of fans that would not start up on their own with only 6 or 9volts. If I spun them with my finger they would then stay running. I also had a couple that simply would not run outside of a CPU case and I don't know why!