Got diagnosed with ADHD now what?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by happy101, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Three weeks ago I was diagnosed with ADHD and was prescribed Wellbutrin the week after. She first wanted me to try lexapro and abilify for my depression but I told her I want the to focus me more.

After 2 weeks of taking Wellburtin no positive reactions to it expect it did make my mood slightly better. I go back in a couple days to discuss the medication. I"m going to tell the psy that the medication made my mood better but I still feel overwhelmed and distracted and would like to try one of the proven-medications and I would suggest to try adderall or is this coming off as a drug seeker? Is there anything else I could add to come off as more convincing

2. Well wellburtin is an ssri, it doesnt work after 2 weeks, it should take months to fully work the way it is supposed to.

3. Tell her that you've done research and you'd like to see if a stimulant would work.
    If she does give you them DON'T take them recreationally
    THey'll know because you'll have to refill earlier and everything
    Just let it run it's course and see what happens.

4. Wellbutrin is an SDRI not an SSRI. It should have taken almost, if not full effects in two weeks. Just go in, say it didn't work, and ask for something else. I told my doctor for depression I have had adderall and in the past and it takes away my depression and I was scripted it, but not everyone can be as lucky. To get the good meds you typically have to run through the rings of ssris and stuff.

5. Not everyone is the same - you need to figure yourself out.

First thing I would suggest is . . .
    #1 Get sober. no booze, no bud, no nothing. Get really clean.
    #2 Eat healthy - cut out sugar, pop, fast foods, heavy fat crap.
    #3 Get exercising.

A lot of ADHD is learning how to recognize it and control it.

Though they didn't have a name for it when I was young, I clearly had all the symptoms, and to this day still have lots of troubles focusing, can get depressed, get racy, and more (40 some years later).

For me, the real thing that would get me on track when I was really slipping was really heavy cardio and physical exercise. That would help jolt me back to a normal situation. I would go to this beach in Vancouver where they have a massive set of steps, then run down, and run back up - almost physically impossible, but I would do it without stopping or coming to a walk.

I ended up doing a fair amount of school and that was hard. I would be reading a text book and NOTHING would sink in. If it wasn't really interesting, I just couldn't get it. When I would catch myself missing an entire paragraph, I would stand up, do 25 push ups, then read it again. After 100+ push ups, I would get more of what I was reading. I also took a study skills course which taught me a ton of tricks to doing well in school without doing all that farking reading.

I have tried some of the drugs, and they definitely did help me focus, but I just didn't feel like me - and others noticed the difference too. I'm not into the pharmaceuticals.

I know the first two suggestions sort of suck, but first and foremost, get in charge of yourself.

Good luck.

That said, I still drink and torch it up, just not all the time - and a lot depends on where I am at with myself. And, if I do party too frequently, I have troubles with mood, focus and whatnot.

6. when did they start scripting SSRI for ADHD??? or are you dealing with two conditions?

7. Not everyone is the same - you need to figure yourself out.

First thing I would suggest is . . .
    #1 Get sober. no booze, no bud, no nothing. Get really clean.
    #2 Eat healthy - cut out sugar, pop, fast foods, heavy fat crap.
    #3 Get exercising.

A lot of ADHD is learning how to recognize it and control it.

Though they didn't have a name for it when I was young, I clearly had all the symptoms, and to this day still have lots of troubles focusing, can get depressed, get racy, and more (40 some years later).

For me, the real thing that would get me on track when I was really slipping was really heavy cardio and physical exercise. That would help jolt me back to a normal situation. I would go to this beach in Vancouver where they have a massive set of steps, then run down, and run back up - almost physically impossible, but I would do it without stopping or coming to a walk.

I ended up doing a fair amount of school and that was hard. I would be reading a text book and NOTHING would sink in. If it wasn't really interesting, I just couldn't get it. When I would catch myself missing an entire paragraph, I would stand up, do 25 push ups, then read it again. After 100+ push ups, I would get more of what I was reading. I also took a study skills course which taught me a ton of tricks to doing well in school without doing all that farking reading.

I have tried some of the drugs, and they definitely did help me focus, but I just didn't feel like me - and others noticed the difference too. I'm not into the pharmaceuticals.

I know the first two suggestions sort of suck, but first and foremost, get in charge of yourself.

Good luck.

That said, I still drink and torch it up, just not all the time - and a lot depends on where I am at with myself. And, if I do party too frequently, I have troubles with mood, focus and whatnot.

Oh yeah, a by-product of this is you get into pretty good shape and the babes like you more . . . :p

8. i am also an adult (at lest agewise) dealing with undiagnosed ADD these suggestions are all good. specially the exercise, i find that the more i exercise the less...intrusive(?)... my ADD becomes.

i however find that pot works really well for controlling the impulse control thingy that goes along with the ADD. it slows down my thinking, puts a little space between thought and action....a little. of course it fucks your concentration right up :D

the one thing that i know won't work for me is the "natorupathic" route. saw an ND bout it and she wanted me to take a bunch of stuff that added up to like 15 doses of different vitamin supplements a day, all at different times.....Really??? i asked her if she had even heard of ADD, and what would indicate to her that someone who has it could remember to take ALL of this, ALL at different times, EVERY day. She laughed and referred me to a psychiatrist who treats adults w/ ADD. still haven't gone....
    FUCKING ADD (slaps self in head)

9. they diagnosed me with adhd when i was younger
    meds helped but like an above poster said i just didnt feel like me, they made me tired all the time too
    so i stoped taking the meds sometime in middle school
    ended up being expelled from high school and getting my diploma through comunity college

i think ive gotten it mostly under control over the years
    but i can still be hyper at times and deffinetly still have a short attention span unless the subject intrests me

dosnt really help you
    just my experience with the affliction

10. Another thing is that add is very over diagnosed now a days.

11. it is overdiagnosed. the funny thing about ADD is that everybody on earth exhibits the symptoms that make up the ADD/ADHD complex. the diagnosis is dependant on the severity of the symptoms and how much they interfere with your life. but i would hate to see a situation wer it was under-diagnosed and we just went back to throwing kids who had it out of school. in a perfect world there would be schools that catered to this learning style (yes it is a learning style, not a learning disability) but we don't live in a perfect world. but some schools are getting hip with the non-chemical treatments, offering different styles of classes, interactive learning things, etc. but it is hard for a school to NOT cater to the masses, they have limited budgets after all.

12. i used to take wellbutrin for depression. i didn't know it was an adhd drug.
    i remember it took a while to work.
    i also remember that my balls-crazy friend took like, 15 of them and tripped his nuts off in the woods. he was ok though.
    you should get clean for a little bit and give wellbutrin a good try.
    it made me lose a lot of weight, and i'm skinny to begin with. i was around 95 pounds, and after three/four weeks of taking it, i was 80. that's ultimately why i was taken off of it. so be careful to watch your weight, and eat well.
    if you aren't feeling the way you should be after like, three weeks, then suggest something else.
    best of luck, though. i know a lot of people who have adhd and handle themselves just fine. i'm sure you'll still be the same awesome person, just on medication.

13. My last visit to the psycharist went okay but not what I expected. I went in saying that I still feel overwhelm while taking test or doing work and day dreaming at work,school and at home I haven't been able to get much done. The psy then asked me if I heard of benzos playing dumb I said no. The psy then mention xanax and klonopin one of these she would like to prescribe to me to take before a test and went I go to bed at night. I accepted because its a nice script on the side to have

The psychiatrist will also bump my wellburtin up 50mg in two weeks and said that this will help me concentrate more but I feel this will still not improve it. Will she kept raising the dose to the maximum or stop after this trail and offer me a simulate?

14. sounds to me like she thinks you got a depression/anxiety thing going on. make sure she is helping YOU, not her version of you.