Got criticised for being generous

Discussion in 'General' started by Moonmadness, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Well blades, I didn't really think much of this as it took place on last Saturday and everyone was drunk, but the 'Why are racists proud of themselves' thread made me think about it more. I'll share this and I seriously welcome any criticism as I really don't see what was wrong with what I did.

Right, so last Saturday I was out on the town with the lads at the nightclub, and what usually happens in there is I'll end up splintering off from the group (my own choice) because I don't like to stay in one particular area for too long, and I enjoy meeting people I've never met before.

So as I was wandering around drunk in this club, I realised I had to go for a leak, and I made my way there. As I was walking in I noticed in the bathroom was one of those guys who offer a spray aftershave or other toiletries in return for a few euro. I also noticed that the dish where he put said change was full of pennies and the odd 20 cents.

Seeing this struck something within me as I finished my piss. I've been to that particular nightclub several times, and he has never been there. Keep in mind, this is the same nightclub where, on one occasion, the power went out shortly after opening and they straight up refused to refund anyone, whilst at the same time ushering everyone out. Our economy is in the shitter and no business has extra money to employ a guy to offer this service in the bathroom. He was definitely there of his own accord.

So I washed my hands and afterwards I began to talk to this man. He told me he was from the Congo, but apart from that he couldn't speak too much English. I asked him if he had a family and he said he did. Some people passing by would look at him and say 'Oh I'll be right back and give you money then', and some people played were saying shit like 'Westside niggas, what nigga' and just generally using their drunkenness as an excuse to spew racial slurs.

I ignored them and continued my conversation with the guy. I gave him 10 bucks and told him for the sake of his own wellbeing and for the sake of his family, move country as soon as he could. I'm not sure if he was able to understand what I was saying, but when I looked at his eyes before I left, I knew that he felt what I was saying.

To cut a long story short, at the end of the night I met up with the lads and we were talking about the night and whatever. I mentioned to them the above story and they were like 'What the fuck man? You gave him a tenner?' I was in disbelief. I know these guys so long and they are my friends to the death, so I wasn't angry with them, I was simply confused as to what they thought I had done wrong.

So GrassCity, what do you think? Did I do something wrong? Honestly, I just wanted the guy to know that he did not have to put up with that shit and that a better life awaits him and his family, but its certainly not here. Nobody should have to face discrimination like that, especially not to make money pennies. And when you reach the point where you think that is a good idea, then something is seriously wrong. Maybe I'm wrong, but where is the sense in that?

2. To me it sounds like you gave a black guy $10 and told him to get out of town.  It seems obvious that that is not what you meant and the black guy understood your direction.  Just different cultures I guess.

Of course there is nothing wrong with some generousity.  Don't fret it. 

3. #3 Serenity, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    Well I think the idea of tipping someone who works in a restroom is just.... Ridiculous to say the least. But you only did something "wrong" if they guy was in fact not actually employed to work there, and just trying to scam drunk people, acting like he was new to the country and didn't even speak english etc. 

4. dont think they're saying you did something wrong... just that you gave him too much money for nothing basically?

5. Pretty much. I personally wouldn't of gave him that much, if anything haha.

6. You didn't do anything wrong at all.. it's your money do what you want with it. You obviously knew what you were doing. I would have gave him something.. I don't know about $10 but something. I would be hesitant because who knows if he is scamming or not.

7. You did nothing wrong. With hostility being so common in this age, it's great to have generous people to help others in need. You have a great spirit.

8. "The game ain't based on sympathy."