Got an email with this in it

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TheLonerStoner, Jul 21, 2010.

1. "If you want happiness for an hour -- take a nap. If you want
    happiness for a day -- go fishing. If you want happiness for a
    month -- get married. If you want happiness for a year --
    inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime --
    help someone else."

-- Chinese Proverb

It really rings true to me. What do you think about it?

2. I enjoy the senitment a lot and wish it were true, but unfortunately there are people in this world who feel no joy while helping others. Extreme greed and ill will towards others is something I'll never understand.

3. ya. a month sounds about right.

but rele, help ppl without being smug. truly admirable quality.

4. Random acts of kindness rule!,And they feel pretty damn good for all involved:D

5. Hmmmm....Ya know, I am pretty happy when I take naps.

6. The philosophy of a thousand religions. Yet they all disagree.

7. nah
    you have to take care of your own being as well
    if feel as though
    - you want to aide a person
    - and you are able to aide such person
    - and you will maintain innocence aiding such person
    then perhaps you will gain feeling of wellness from aiding them

I also disagree it would last the duration you stated
    if aiding people produced pleasant feeling which lasted such a long duration
    people would probably be able to achieve eternal life / immortality simply by aiding others
    however I have aided people before and the affects may last an hour or perhaps a day or perhaps a greater duration however they probably wont go over a week

8. So you'd help anyone?

Even Hitler?

Or Albert Fish? You'd help him out at butchering and eating those children......right?

Some people are pure scum and don't deserve help, in fact they deserve the opposite, death.

9. #9 tongues, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010
    Really? We both know you're twisting my words. What I don't understand is why. I agree with the quote the OP posted about helping people and you basically call me out for it. What the fuck is your deal brah?

Edit: I say I believe in helping people and that I don't understand ill will towards others, so then you ask me if I'd help a mass murderer and a serial killer. Do you think racism and the desire to kill are not ill will towards others, i.e. exactly what I said I didn't understand.

So why is it that you assume I would help everyone in the first place, let alone two very evil people? Are you really than dense? Or do you have some personal issue with me where you feel the need to make snide little remarks about my posts?

10. i feel like your thinking too much into the subject just take it for what is, the basic guidelines for happiness according to whoever wrote it.

11. [​IMG]

12. to put it simply
    from my perspective
    the stated result of those guidelines do other than match the actual result from following those guidelines
    at my previous post at this thread I decided to state the details representing the disagreement between the stated result and the actual result

perhaps those 'basic guidelines for happiness' are actually 'a script to control and direct people toward aiding others'

13. It's just a quote. It doesn't hold the weight to be a script to control or direct people. It's a mere illustration of how aiding others is something that often benefits all.

14. I'd help Hitler and Fish. I wouldn't aid their actions, but I would help them by trying to get them to understand the negative impact of their actions, etc.

15. There are many proverbs out there that say one should hold their enemies closer than their family and the similar. Of course you should help very evil people, they are who need it most. If you don't you're aiding them in their wickedness by turning an ignorant eye and allowing the evil to still take place.

16. That is not the fault of the religions, but the fault of their followers. It's ignorance that dictate whether or not individuals focuses on the similarities between their religions or the differences. It's proven to be fatal mistake on several occasions throughout history.

17. False dichotomy. Either I help them overcome their wickedness or I'm aiding in it? Not true at all.

18. You're not understanding my use of the word aiding. It's the same thing as you're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You yourself aren't' committing wickedness, but you are indeed aiding it if you're not deterring it or something to that affect and bystanders are most definitely part of the problem, it's often a means of encouragement. There's no dichotomy present really, but nonetheless what I say is cemented in history as fact.

19. Yeah and that's a false dichotomy, which is a logical fallacy.

20. Well, that's just your opinion then I guess. :) I would suggest you pick up a history book though cause you'll find out what I'm talking about isn't in fact a fallacy. It's been demonstrated countless times in the past. :confused_2: