Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

got a possesion charge - need advice

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by ManCandy, Aug 12, 2013.

1. #1 ManCandy, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
    Ok so this is going to be very long, but I need some help.

So almost a month ago me and my buddy got baked and we were crusing around. Ended up getting pulled over because the cop said I swerved. They were shining lights in our eyes and shit and just said our eyes were glossy and our pupils weren't dilating. They asked if we had consumed any drugs or alchohol and I said no. They told me to step out of the car, so I said I would, but I told them they couldn't search me or the car. When I said this they told me I didn't have a choice. So I said "without probable cause or a warrant you can't search me or my car". The 2 pigs just went silent and looked at eachother. So they told me again to get out of the car and before I could, they opened my door and grabbed my arm and pulled me out. They told me to epmty my pockets, and I said no. They both grabbed me and I pulled away, so they said I was resisting arrest, and threw me against the cop car and cuffed me. They found a gram in my pocket. All I got was a possesion charge. was I illegally searched? Could I get the charges dropped? If the charges don't get dropped what will happen? I've never had any other run ins with the pigs. My court date is tomorrow (the 13th).i live in canada

2. You are going to prison for a long time. If you live in Texas, you will get the death penalty.

3. #3 smokin 'n tokin, Aug 12, 2013
    Idk about Canada, but I know if you even LOOK high or the cop "smells" bud, that counts as probable cause and they can search you without consent. I assume where you live in Canada they have medical mj so it will probably be a DWUI or ticket worst case

4. sounds like the biggest bullshit ever wanna shoot assholes like that.
    you got fucked wish you the best of luck

5. #5 The Revered Inventor, Aug 12, 2013
    Get a lawyer.

http://cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Dial-A-Law/Scripts/Criminal-Law/201

Page 3-5 below.

http://ccla.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Know-Your-Rights-Booklet1.pdf

Cute video by flexyourrights that illustrates how to deal with a stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3kVX6NIPzB0

The first two links are based on Canadian laws. The third link is based on US laws but summarizes what page 3-5 will tell you in the second link.

Why you would wait until the day before your court date to do anything is beyond me.

6. Sounds harsh for Canadian cops.

you were definitely illegally searched

7. The conduct of the officers wasn't great, but you didn't do yourself any favors.

When they asked you to get out of the car, act calm, and definitely don't have the grass on your person. I know in America if a policeman stops you in a traffic violation they can ask you to get out of the car, they can search your person for threats to them - if they stop you walking on the street, different story. Then you said, "I'll get out of the vehicle but you can't search me or my car." Very dumb thing to say, you threw up an immediate red flag. You have to keep your cool around police, the less you say the better.

Cops might've been sloppy but so were you. I'd definitely get a lawyer - because if you show up in court unprepared, trying to fight, they'll just try to pwn you that much harder :smoking:

8. if you only got caught with a gram then it shouldnt be that big of a deal. but you shoudlve just been honest with them they probably woudlnt have cared about a gram of weed that much. i dont know the laws where you are but here in ohio you need anything under a 100 grams is just a fine

9. My mom said i should just go in and say I plead guilty a i will just get alternate conditions or something and I won't get a criminal record

10. How did it go?

11. Got alternate measures. Pretty much the best thing that could have happened. Just have to do something easy such as a bit of community service or write an essay. Whatever they chose for me, and if I do it, then I don't get a criminal record.

12. I'm glad your not labeled as a criminal. Leave it home and smoke at home. Any probation or anything?

13. Thanks man. and
     No probation

14. Good to hear that you came out on the good end. Cheers.

15. Never plead guilty. That eliminates your ability to plea bargain. I know someone in West Virginia (US state that's hard on cannabis) that got caught with a quarter. They agreed to let him off completely if he successfully completed a year of probation, which he did. Forced T-breaks suck but nothing beats a clean record.

16. Yeah dude, defend yourself but don't be such a confrontational "I know my rights" type. Antagonizing them isn't the way to go, if you were just honest and told em you only had a bit they would've just taken it and let you on your way. Or maybe even let you keep if it they're really cool. Glad it worked out, give them the best damn essay they've ever seen!  :smoke:

17. Lol I would have handled that better xp get a lawyer. next time be respectful and you'll be respected they didn't do anything but there job the way you acted got you into trouble

18. i follow the old saying, a misdemeanor never hurt anyone.  

and so far it hasnt hurt me in anyway.  any of them.  

ive got a good job and have passed background checks.  as long as its not violent your good.

count yourself lucky.  resisting an officer is resisting an officer.

word of advice.  next time you get pulled over, turn the car off, take the keys out of the ignition and drop them on the ground outside your vehicle.  if an officer asks you to step out, step out and make sure you are directly in front of their squad car so their dash cams can fully see you and the officer without obstruction.  if you feel like your rights have been violated they can pull up that video camera footage and see for themselves.  those cameras are there for theirs and our protection.

19. Fucking mounties, ey

20. I heard they take it a step further then death now :/