Got a light question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DankRoller87, Apr 15, 2017.

1. IMAG0382.jpg IMAG0380.jpg I order and just received today my sun system 150 watt hps lamp and bulb . I've been using 138 actual watts of cfl up to this point. My question is about how far away should the hps be from the tops of my plant . I still want to use cfl's on the lower sides for extra light . I'm starting week 6 flower tomorrow . On an unknown bagseed 1 plant About 14 inches tall lst'd .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Probably not too far away. Put hand over top of plant, wait 15 seconds, if it's too hot for your hand, it's too close, if it's not hot you may be able to lower it an inch, then test again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drop a little like 8 to 10inch away

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your lady looks really good imo. And I generally keep mine 12" or a little under.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks

6. I will give it a shot man thanks . Just didn't wanna get too close .

7. This has only had the hps for a few hours in this pic . I have grown it from seed with 6 23 watt cfl. I have about 3 weeks left hopefully until harvest . So I wanted to give it more juice . IMAG0370.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. The hps will be like plant steriods for it

• Like Like x 2
  9. I really hope so . I'm just trying to figure it all out lol. I have noticed that just in a day with hps the smell has really intensified alot . With the cfl the smell was there just no where near as bad as this light

• Like Like x 1
  10. If u need any help dont hesitate to inbox me dude

• Like Like x 1
  11. You've done good. 150 watt hps bulbs aren't as efficient as the larger models but they kick the crap out of CFL.
    106 lumens per watt for your 150 watt HPS.
    69 lumens per watt for the cfl.

600 watt is the sweet spot efficiency wise for hps bulb design. They're capable of 160 lumens per watt. The efficiency starts to drop with the 1000 watt bulbs. Most are only about 140 lumens per watt.

I didn't have any idea about these differences for a while. I had heard people mention that 600 watt hps fixtures were the most efficient but until I looked at the numbers I had no idea the difference was that dramatic. 106 lumens compared to 160 per watt is huge.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah I knew it should make a big difference. The only problem I'm seeing now is that with hps I have a hard time keeping the heat down compared to cfl . I don't have a tent to vent it from . I'm in a closet that I can not ventilate with exhaust. My temps with lights on now is around 92 degrees F

13. #15 Tbone Shuffle, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    That won't work. Way too hot you need to vent the space for air circulation as well as heat. Plants breath just like people. Mine tolerate about 82 degrees ok. That's the upper limit. They'll be sad in a day at 92.

Leave the closet open and don't ruin the 12 hour dark period.

• Like Like x 1