Good way to socialize with classmates?

Discussion in 'General' started by Run 21, Feb 28, 2012.

1. In high school I basically knew everyone because I attended the same school for four years but in college it's a bit different. It's a community college but it's thousands of students from all over South Florida. Every semester I get placed with brand new faces and I simply don't know how to just talk to them. My classes are so quiet and nobody talks to each other. It's awkward , weird and uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any positive suggestions?

2. Just say something you would say normally. Like if the Prof is a dick be like this dude is an asshole and go from there. Just bring up topics and people will respond

3. Be the class clown, you either love em or hate em, but it will definitely kill the silence

4. dude are you like in junior high or just go to a weird school? because OP's school sounds like my school, everyone just sitting quietly. nobody's going to be making jokes for the whole class lol.

5. This used to be the case for me. I started makin my voice heard. Asking teachers questions, teasing classmates. End up making the classroom socialize more often I'm general. I've bought this vibe to like every 1 of my college classes. But lately more often then not I get anxious trying to socialize with strangers( females especially)

6. Whip it out, you'll be the man

7. Just be yourself and say something worth contributing...you'll make friends in no time if you've got the personality to boot.

8. talk shit on the professor

9. That's how my school was, also in south Florida like OP however that kind of shit is easily broken.

Answer questions, make other people look stupid if they debate you, debate with the teacher, crack bad puns in the middle of it all if one comes to you(relevant to the material of course), shit... just do big things and people will come to you... at least that's what I've always noticed.. and Mannie Fresh never lead me wrong before

10. Just whip it out.

Some sort of conversation is bound to ensue.

11. I had the same problem when i made the high school to college jump. and yeah just, well at first at least, hover around people who you naturally gravitate to, like similarly dressed people and what not. say something sarcastic about the class material and wait for a response. just get something out there and people will open up to you

12. Most community colleges offer intramural sports. I suggest you start there.

13. This used to bother me until I started talking to some kids, and then I realized I didn't want to talk to them anyway. Problem solved.

14. Ask for help on something even if you don't need it.. Then make small convo everyday until eventually, you exchange numbers or some shit like that.. Might even find a tokin buddy

15. when i went to community college it was like that, straight silence every day. i go to a tech school now and its pretty tight, we all fuck around in class

16. Whatever you decide, don't be that guy that "talks shit on the professor." No one likes that guy. He's there to teach and you're there (i'm under the assumption, anyhow) to learn. Time spent being an asshole robs you and your classmates of the opportunity to advance. Also, teachers, whether they let on that they can or not, are able to hear you and your snide remarks. But whatever, man - it's your money and your future.