Good speed control for fan?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by PIFFCLOUD22, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Anyone know a good speed control that wont shit the bed in a month?

2. #2 Julius Caesar, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
    I bought this about a year ago and it still works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Step-Speed-Controller-Electronic/dp/B000HQAVNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373705875&sr=8-1&keywords=fan+speed+controller

As of this posting it is $18.98 - I think I paid $22 a year ago - prices on these types of items changes almost daily.

PS - This type of controller only works with brush motors.

EDIT-

Also, I just read one of the reviews and I have noticed a noisy hum when using the speed controller. I am debating on stop using mine altogether. I am going to do more reading. Here is the review - he makes many fine points:

"I bought this product and plugged it in and it worked as stated. But it slows the engine speed by changing the sine wave of your Alternating Current (A/C) current into a Square Wave. Why is this bad? A/C appliances are made to run with a smooth ramp up and a smooth ramp down. By changing this into a square wave, it's 100% plus, then zero, then 100% minus, without a ramp. This produced an immediate hum in my fan as soon as I slowed the engine with this device. It will also reduce the efficiency and shorten the bearing life of your fan. Electronic equipment nearby may suffer from electrical noise such as lines on your TV or hum in your sound system.

I suggest this product as an alternative: Variac Variable Transformer

3 Amp Variac Variable Transformer, 300va Max, 0-130 Volt Output

It costs more, but it will last much longer. And it can be used on many other things in your house. You can actually dim Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) with this product. I have one of these that was made in the 1970s and it still works today. It slows your fan by reducing the voltage. A Variac does not change the A/C sine wave."