good soil mix?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by marijuanameyer, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Yesterday i made a mixture of these soils:
    20% black kow composted cow manure (0.5-0.5-0.5)
    30% organic mushroom compost (0.5-0.5-0.2)
    20% garden magic peat
    15% fertilome ultimate potting mix
    and the other 15% is a mixture i made with 40% coconut coir 40% hypnum peat potting soil 20% compost and organics (ground up whole banana for K, 3 crushed egg shells to raise pH and Ca, chopped corn husks for N, rotting bits of collared greens and some organic fertilizer)

Is this a good mixture for growing outside? What is the approx pH of this mix and what nutes should i dose when need be? my plants are only 5 inches tall now and i've already transplanted a couple in this soil in the ground (without pots).

Also, how large of holes should make per plant? is wider or deeper better for sativas?

2. You may need a little extra drainage. The only draining material I see in there is coco coir, which makes up a whopping 6% of the mix.

I can't tell you the pH of the mix, for that I would need to know the chemical composition of all the materials you're using. You'll need a testing kit if you want to know. However, if the pH is too low you'll notice your plants having a lot of nutrient deficiencies, so add something alkaline (like more egg shells I suppose) to fix that.

You're plants will want Nitrogen in the vegetative stage, among other things, and Phosphorus in the flowering stage, among (you guessed it) other things. It's a little more complicated than that and you will want to do a little research. There are a lot of commercially available nutrient mixes you can use, such as Fox farms et al.

Most people recommend ten gallons of volume to give your roots enough room. Sativas get pretty tall, and their roots need to go deep to give them stability, so dig deeper holes.

As a side note, I sure hope you don't live in the northern hemisphere if you are planting right now.

3. #3 Corto Malteze, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
    You're missing 30% perlite (for airing out, to make it a soilless mix)
    Add lime too

the mix you listed is way too hot for seedlings (only thing that's not ferts is the peat you listed 20%, ,the rest is plant food so will burn your seedlings). Instead, I would use 50%peat/6 cups lime per bale of peat/30%perlite and 20% castings for seedlings.

But if your plants are 5 inches, they should be ok but make it more concentrated at the bottom, less concentrated in upper half (add more peat up there) so your young 1 month old plant gets used to it. But yeah it's a good soil mix.

Dig 2ft x 2ft but it's late in the season so a smaller hole could be good enough.

For the ratio (dosage), I use 1 volume of ferts (cow, compost etc...) to 3 volumes of soilless mix (peat/perlite) (= 1/4 ratio) Then just plain water until the end (or compost teas). Again, more concentrated at the bottom (more compost/cow manure etc...). I also top dress with dry ferts (high p bat guano is good for flowering and kelp for K too if you can find those but if your compost is good it should cover the NPK basics). Don't be afraid to add more compost towards the bottom.