Good Milage For A BMW ?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by NYC Smoker, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Well I'm looking for a BMW e39 M5 to be my first car :)
    This build is just such an animal. They're very rare to find now a days and hard to get under $10k. Most of them has over 100k miles . Is that bad for this car? Any other BMW suggestions? A loud 4 door beast like the M5.

2. I drive a Prius so..

3. Please be relevant.

4. i drive a volt so.....

lol JK, but do you really want a BMW?

you realize how much they can cost to maintain right? especially living in NYC....

5. Yeah well its good to have dreams :) & if find a good condition bmw I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much

6. You'll dream of driving it while it sits in your driveway because of some stupid simple issue that can only be fixed by a BMW dealer.

7. #7 MIjbr90190, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
    I wouldnt buy a used ///M unless you plan on going over it completely and replace everything the previous owner neglected i.e suspnsion and cooling system. Those are the two most troublesome areas of most bmw's. The engines are damn near bulletproof and so are the trannys. But the m5 in that model year isnt much more to take care of than a 540i. They are nearly identical aside from the 4.9l in the m and some other little things. If you find a good independent mechanic that is exclusive to bmw/mercedes the car wont cost much to maintain. Figured id offset the rampant misinformation by people who obviously havent had experience with a bmw. To answer the original question, its hard to gauge what a good mileage would be for an M. If you are serious get a pre purcahse inspection. A 40k mile m5 could end up being more of a headache than one with 140k mile one. If you dont take care kf these cars they most definetly will not take care of you. Most horror stories about BMW are because of this.

8. I have nothing against them, just don't think it's a good idea for a first car. I'm a fan of many BMWs, love them. But wouldn't buy one until I'm at a financially stable point in my life with some extra money.

9. ^^^Also worth noting, is the extremely high cost of insuring an M5 for a 1st time driver. Unless your parents are generous I would look at other vehicles.

10. BMW would be a bad first car. I'd stick with vw or Nissan

11. I had a 2000 E39 M5. Def not my first car. I purchased it 4 years ago for 11k. Had 160k on it and it needed so much work that I barley got home from my 400mile trip when I purchased it. Dealer quoted 9k. Luckily my good friend works at bmw and I got it all done for 2.5k. Every part on those cars needs a special tool and since they r only manual chances r u will need clutch+flywheel in the very near future. If u got the cash to maintain it then ur good and u will love it. I've had almost every M out there E36 m3 witch is wat my recommendation is to u if u like M cars. I've also owned the E39 m5, E46 m3 vert, and now I own an E63 M6 so I know wat I'm talking about. E36 M3s r great first cars and a lot of fun to drive and relatively cheap to maintain. If u can get few more grand together. I c the E46s going as low as the 13-15k range. That in my opinion is a better car all around then the E39 but they r two totally different cars so to each his own.

12. i would get a decent e36 non-///M if i were looking for a first car.

325is or 328is.

insurance on any ///M car is gonna be pretty hefty for a new driver.

cheapest to drive/maintain/insure would be a 318i or 318is.

don't be the kid who kills his friends and himself:

Airstrip Crash- Florida- 5 killed - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

13. ^^i think it really depends on the person. if you are mature than its no big deal. They clearly were not mature if they broke onto an air feild and started doing high speed runs. That being said i saw a picture of them and they were really young and everyone should be careful while they drive its pretty much the most dangerous thing you can do and on a daily basis. just looked it up and \t39,252 died in 2k5 and 32,885 in 2010.

14. yes; but i fail to see any reason someone would think that a 400hp sedan is a good first car.

insurance is gonna be killer... but so is inexperience.

15. well yah you cant really argue that but how much more dangerous is that than some kid in a 198X 5.0 with a supercharger he bought for cheap? i feel like its a dangerous car but its also refined and a lot safer than many other cars kids are driving around. I have been in so many cars that were such shit boxes that you probably shouldnt have even gotten a sticker and were not safe. my friend didnt have brakes for a bit and would downshift and e brake ( i know really dumb it was a while ago). I think if theyd found out about the airstrip and had any other car they would have had the same fate, i havea tdi and even i kinda wanna go see what it d do on a strip, might crack 100 who knows.

16. true; but if the OP likes the style of the m5 over the standard e39, i would simply say that you can get an msport e39. almost all the visual effects of the m5, but cheaper to insure, maintain, and drive.

17. 540/6 with the m package is my dream car.

18. I wouldnt think twice about 100k for a beamer. I thought you were gonna be talking more like 250-300. My friends e46 m3 has 310,000 and he fucking rips the shit out of it 24/7. My friend has an e36 325 and he has 180 or so. He just put 2 grand back into it though. Ive also driven in numerous e30s with mileage from 150-300k.

I wouldnt be worried about 100k. At that mileage its all about how the person took care of the car. A great example is my friends m3 that i mentioned before. It looks brand fucking new and drives amazing.

19. Make sure you have a mechanic look at it if you're buying from a private seller. If you want a BMW, go for it. I think they're great cars. I'd love to be able to afford an M5. If you take care of it and do the regular maintenance it shouldn't be costly.

20. my '95 M3 just passed CA smog last week at 195,000 miles, my '01 330i has 185k and still pulling hard!