GOOD DEAL ON A GROW BOX?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by charlie2000, Mar 9, 2014.

1. #1 charlie2000, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
    In doing a ton of research on grow boxes I have found this on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221374939960?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 It is small enough for the closet and very stealthy and affordable. Concerning the fans I found this out from the seller: "Thank you for your interest in our cabinets. The fans are 12 volt fans with a speed controller attached that can lower them to 7 volts on low. The intake fan runs at 1880 rpm on high and are 80mm x80 mm, the exhaust fan which is 120mm x 120mm runs at 2200 rpms on high. With the fans on low or off the temperatures in the cabinet are normally 10 degrees higher than the temperature of the room it resides in. These temperatures can be lowered by turning the speed up on the fans. As long as the temperatures do not exceed 90 degrees on a constant basis, mostly any plant will thrive in these conditions"
    Do these fans sound like they would be ok for a closet setup? Since it would be in the closet I could keep the closet door cracked for more fresh air intake. The room and closet temps are around 72-74 degrees. Any thoughts or opinions on this one? Thanks for looking. Any comments would be very appreciated!

2. I wouldn't buy anything that isn't "modular". If one part of those go bad, how hard I it going to be to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Good question. Their warranty is good on both so I don't think it would be a problem. Even after the warranty expires it shouldn't be hard to replace a fan or power strip. Back to the original question, do you think either of these would remain sufficiently cool inside a closet (with a door cracked) and an ambient temp of 74?

4. The second one claims 600w LOL

Which means it's using 6 freaking 26w lightbulbs that cost about $20, you could upgrade the first box to the same specs for a fraction of the cost difference. Your first option is better than this one, first of all the cabinet is like 6 feet tall and the bulbs penetrate maybe 6", huge amount of wasted vertical space on that thing. With cfl you want your plants as short and wide as you can get them, not tall and skinny. The first box has better dimensions for a cfl grow IMO but it could still use some improvements. The second box is 100% pure rip-off, might cost $75 to build it at most.

Thanks for your input. What kind of improvements would you make?

Lighting and possibly ventilation. Hard to tell how effective that ventilation will be from the description, and they didn't say how much lighting it comes with. Lighting is a cheap fix but might be too much for the fan to handle.

I'm working on a box that's similar in size, maybe a bit smaller and I'm using a 15w 120v ac fan that I got out of a malfunctioning space heater. Blows away most pc fans that size, allowing me to use stronger lighting. The cost to wire up lights will be about $25, enclosure about $20, and I'll spend about the same getting my ventilation up to par. $65 tops.

Here's another box I built with a 250w HID and 150w of cfl, cost me $350 to build with a good filter and puts that second box to shame. It can be used for veg, cloning, flower, and drying.
    274.JPG
    277.JPG
    030 (600x800).jpg
    038 (1024x768).jpg

And here is one harvest out of that box

021 (1024x768).jpg

I saw some cheaper boxes for like $100 on the same page, might be better off getting one of those and tinkering with it, what you're looking at is very overpriced and the most useful part IMO is the box itself. For $275 - $400 you can do much, much better.

7. Wow. Great looking setup. Very impressive. What kind of temps you get in there?  And what size fans? I hope that fan from the space heater is not too loud.  What I need is a 39in. tall, 2ft. wide, 15in. deep box with no lights installed since I have a 180w LED. It does need a big ass fairly quiet fan to exhaust since the box will sit in a closet with the doors slightly open. I use a DIY Ona bucket that works well, so no need for carbon scrubber or filter. Not sure the fan size I would need to keep a box that size cool.