Good cheap material for led light frames.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Tbone Shuffle, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Angle aluminum is fine but it can get a little pricey. I happen to do flooring for a living and I had a brainstorm about these metal tile transition strips I use. I screwed a simple frame together for some lights I have and thought I could share.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/schluter-s...MI_6f92ouh4AIVB8NkCh2USgjIEAQYASABEgLt6PD_BwE
    [​IMG]

You could just use the boards for the cross members if you're using them to build frames for board based leds.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. They're plenty strong when put on edge for 4ft or so and the built in holes make hangers easy. They are also very light.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Those look easy to use. I have seen a few use shelf brackets before; but they are heavy.
    20180818_183456.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. interesting. a few months ago I was looking at a cross member piece from a suspended ceiling - kinda similar cross profile and very lightweight, like these transition strips.
    lots of holes in the ceiling strips also which I think is what probably caught my attention to it. Didn't use it at the time because I'd already used the "normal' aluminum angle strips but was thinking "next time I build a light...."

and hey, you do flooring? I thought you were an electrician.
    or are you one of those really talented guys that knows how to do friction' everything around the house no matter what? :)
    general handyman type?
    wish I had that knowledge.... i touch anything here in the house generally and I have to call a repairman to fx the bigger mess rather than the smaller mess I started with.
    Ironically....I'll take a classic car apart and restore it and put it back together again with no problems, but give me a household repair and it's better to call the repair guy in BEFORE I try to get involved....
    don't have the funds to play with cars or bikes anymore though so down to just playing in the garden.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'll throw a pic up of my ghetto built. Hey, it works and it took me less then 10 minutes to build from stuff laying around in the garage. You can see some black pieces of aluminum transition metal. I used chunks of 2x2 for the crossmembers. IMG_1128.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. I've worked as a carpenter, electrician, HVAC/R tech, and now I do tile and custom showers. I've cut down trees, dug foundations, poured concrete, wired and plumbed houses, put in heating and ac systems, pretty much everything having to do with building. It's all I've done since about 12. I had a few other small jobs in school but other then that I've been doing construction of some type for 30 years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LOL 2x4's and 2x2's can't make for the lightest fixture! LOL

8. I've said for years I wished I had learned one or more of the trades. went to business school but the way life turned out I'd have been better off with the trades knowledge...

• Like Like x 2
  9. thats kool dude! What old cars have u restored or are u referring too? Im a car guy too. But cant afford to restore cars like u said. So that leaves my only other hobby of growing plants that i gotta hide from everyone.. So dam tired of being looked down on cause i put a seed in soil and add water.. .. Wow they best watch out , better send swat team cause i grew plants..them plants will do so much damage to urself and others type of bs that still exists these days in prohibition land... Any how not jacking up dudes thread.. I'm a machinist for 12 yrs now but if anyone has any questions on any type of metals i work with brass, copper, alum, titanium, steel, cast iron , cast alum, and any others im forgeting on a daily basis so if i can answer those type of questions id b happy to help. If so il get back to u asap. But the 1inch x1/8 angle alum is what i chose to hang all 8 of my qb's on. Not to bad price wise and is light but durable.. . tbone has mentiond many times on other threads that he uses steel liters out of fishing isles at walmart. For single boards or even double board fixtures wood prolly b ok to use the liters. I made fixture bigger than i needed so i can add other qb's in near future.. (Qb96elites, qb11's, qb18's.. But that was my 2 cents bro hope itcan help anyone on here..? ✌

• Like Like x 1
  10. mostly old corvettes, but like to play with any old cars from about the early 70's and older. vetts, muscle cars, or any old car really. old bikes are fun too. Dabbled with some older British cars too. have a bit of a fondness to the old British Leyland cars, especially Austin Healy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Good stuff, that extrusion is cheaper by the foot than the simple angle extrusion used in most of the frame builds I have seen at least at lowes. I have been a machinist and cnc programmer for over 25 years, I thought about making a fancy frame with all the do dads, but I have a bunch of these laying around and they are perfect for 3 qb132s or can be cut for single or double.
    20190119_094602-2.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Perfect. Very functional. Anyone else keep on adding ideas.

I did two new boards tonight with my good old standby. 9" trout leaders. $1.99 for a 6 pack.
    IMG_1138.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  13. I have plenty of other hanging material but it's all longer and I'm trying to get the lights as high as I can right now. That's why I'm using the string.

14. I need to pick up some of those steel leaders and ditch my chains.

15. Hit up the fishing isle. A lot of it is on sale since it's out of season. You can get salmon or more deep sea leaders for heavier stuff. Those are 30 pound test. If you think about it they are only holding 1/4 of the light each so that's more then enough weight capacity. 9" seems to be the best length so they don't dangle down too low from the hanging point.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hell ya like it when c others with good ideas. Im not a programmer but can do everything but program. Make edits in programs, set up, maintance, all that fun stuff on CNC HAAS MILLS. SO its nice to see another guy who does same job. Its not easy work but once u figure it out u can make anything. I thought to of doi g fancy engraving on the sides of my light fixture but i just went with the quick n easy method . what machines is in ur shop? We got haas cnc mills, haas cnc lathes, okuma small cnc lathe, and the okuma 5axis xr lathe and mill in 1 machine.. Its badass but for the million dollars the machine cost it better b. But nice to no dude ✌

• Like Like x 1
  17. will check it out now bro. Thx