Good-bye Free Speech!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Medicine Al, Jan 7, 2013.

1. #1 Medicine Al, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
    Utah city renames street due to sexual connotation: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money
    Has anyone here ever heard of Morning Glory as a sexual term? How high on the list of potential definitions did that come from? Are morning and glory only sexy when taken together? Are they as sexy as corpotocracy and your tax dollars at work? I got some morning glory seeds once and got buzzed, but I've never gone over Viagara Falls, if you catch my drift, huh? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...:D

I think the Grand Canyon and Great Tetons are next!

2. Morning glory = A horn in the morning. :)

3. What does this have to do with free speech?

From what I see, this is just local, small town politics and a business coming together to find a mutually agreeable solution to something.

4. what? a business trying to have a professional address/environment? shocking!

5. #5 Medicine Al, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    When speech can be purchased, then there is no free speech.

If a corporation says something that is not true, and politicians know it, and the corporation demands ridiculous superstitions be appeased, and they know it but give them what they want anyway, where is the line drawn on any freedom?

Way to pick up on the subtleties, kids...;)

There is always more than meets the eye.

Personally, I think they should call Lehi Utah, Heil Ptah, but that's just based on my distaste for thinly veiled neuro linguistic programming.

I always loved Samantha Stevens as a kid in the 70's, she was a babe. This corporation sounds a little like Mrs. Kravitz to me. Always spying, prying, and attempting to condemn her neighbors without getting to know them. I hated that attitude of hers!

But that's just me, I guess.

It's time to remove the names Peter, Johnson, Koch, and Bush, by the same argument used by the corporate brainiacs. And Dick. And Connie. See? Where does sexual innuendo end?

6. lake Titicaca

soon to be "lake breastcaca" just to clarify to everyone, its name is meant to be inappropriate

7. All intellectual property laws really could be affected by this new policy.

In the future, there is no sex allowed in language. O Mut Ra Fa Ka Mw AzP.

It's a good thing I'm learning Kush speak.;)

Egyptians hate that shiite.:D

The double entendre makes the world go round. Ask Inspector Gadget.:smoking:

8. ive never heard of morning glory as a sexual term, ive heard of morning wood though

9. #9 chiefton8, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    Where was free speech purchased? I didn't read anything in the article about money being transferred or gifts being exchanged.

What did the corporation say that wasn't true? All they did was suggest the street name had a sexual connotation. Just because you and I aren't offended by it doesn't mean it can't be interpreted that way.

The local council voted unanimous to change it. They know the request may be a little silly, and that not many people are offended, but the request for all intents and purposes is pretty tiny price to pay knowing that the local business brings in jobs and helps their local economy.

Where did superstitions come into this? And why is it ridiculous for a local business to go through the proper local legal proceedings to make such a request? What is wrong with that? Should it be illegal for local businesses to make requests to the local government councils?

Who's freedom is being infringed upon? How is your freedom of speech any less free now? Are you no longer allowed to say "morning glory" is this town? If so, I would agree with you. But in your OP link I didn't see that.

What new policy was made? I didn't read anything about a change in policy, new laws or anything of the sort being made. A local business requested a street be renamed, and the local town council voted unanimously to change it. I think this is a great example of a local business and local government coming together to find a mutually beneficial agreement. And what this has to do with intellectual property laws is beyond me... :confused:

I think you're angry about the current political climate in general and it's developing into a strange state of impulsive and reactionary hysteria that's clouding your ability to see the forest through the trees.

10. Dude it's FUCKING UTAH - they're all whacked out of their minds out there. Trust me, I have relatives living there. And this has NOTHING to do with Free Speech. Street Names aren't even something that the lay-person has anything to do with.

11. Disrespect is not tolerated on grass city.

12. Maybe you can explain how this is disrespectful?

13. "Fucking Utah they are all whacked out of their minds"

Maybe my idea of disrespect is too old school?

14. He followed that up by stating he has relatives there...

He obviously meant utah does weird shit lol

15. What? I've seen you say that a person who you disagreed with was "either stupid or trolling"

isn't that disrespectful?

16. It was indeed and I got an infraction for it. But.I guess as usual cops are above the law

17. I think you are misinterpreting humor as anger, but that's ok, they are both cathartic for me.

Free speech was purchased a long time ago. Or should I say stolen?

Corporations is an old word for Crop Rationers, or slave minders. They are not people, in fact they aren't human at all.

To allow these idiots to claim offense for an obviously in offensive term, is next to saying you no longer care what they feed you, or of what they make you heat your homes with...you know, kinda selling out to the man, as we called it back in the day.

Next thing you know, your churches will have you worshipping the wrong forces of nature, and your planet will become a radioactive death trap...oops, that appears to be too late...but anyway, it's a good idea to keep a tight lock on your words, that's all I'm saying.

These things tend to spiral outward a long way.