Good books

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by TheJourney, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Online forums used to be my outlet for intellectual conversations, as I really didn't have a consistent one in real life. I've always loved it. That being said, it has become quite rare to actually have good and stimulating conversations online. I've been becoming quite bored with it. I've decided that I should start reading more again, and that could help provide food for my mind. So, what are some good, thought-provoking books you guys would recommend?

2. Why don't you take what you know and look to expand?

Complete Astrology - Alan Oken
    Journey of Souls - Michael Newton
    Book of Thoth - Crowley
    Astrology, Psychology and the Four Elements -Arroyo

Those are the main subjects on my plate right now. Wife is reading 'Game of Thrones' and is loving it.

3. Ancient Secrets of the Flower of Life - Drunvalo Melchizedek
    The Cosmic Serpent - DNA and The Origins of Knowledge - Jeremy Narby (haven't finished yet, but enjoying a lot so far)
    Doors of Perception - Aldous Huxley
    The Book On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are - Alan Watts

Just a few I enjoyed.. I have more I'll probably post later.

4. What genre?...The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand was thought provoking in young adulthood...carried that shit around with me...haha...Secular Humanism is a good non-'religious' philosophy ...it has its moments

Also...dense reading......but worth it

[​IMG]

5. The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking

6. I'd recommend these:

The good earth (pearl s buck)
    East of Eden (john steinbeck)
    Angelas Ashes (frank mccourt)
    'Tis (frank mccourt)
    Unintended consequences (banned book)
    Abduction (Dr. Robin Cook)
    Songs my mother taught me (Marlon Brando semi-autobiography)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (lewis carroll)

7. I think many of you regulars on the S&P section would find this an enthralling read.

This is not a book, in the ordinary sense of the word. No, this is a prolonged insult, a gob of spit in the face of Art, a kick in the pants to God, Man, Destiny, Time, Love, Beauty...
    -- Henry Miller

[​IMG]

8. ^^One perk...a nice little titty......(no lesbo)..lol

9. #10 TheJourney, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
    In my pursuit of expanding my knowledge, I've decided to, in part, get back into math, and expand upon my mathematical knowledge. I took through calculus, but haven't done math in a while. I've always been good at it, and I'm doing some calculus stuff right now and I'm enjoying it. It's actually fun. I used to love math, but got bored with it at some point. Lol. School beat my enjoyment of a lot of intellectual things out of me. School has actually been the biggest inhibitor to my progress in my life. Lmao. I love learning, but I hated school, and therefore my learning was stifled. I assume this happens with quite a few people. Anyways, I've been re-discovering a lot of things I used to enjoy lately, so that's good.

10. So are we to assume that you're not going to read any of the books we posted and that you wasted our time......?

Your last post gives that impression.

11. No. Lol. I actually already started reading "The Book On The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by Alan Watts. I just need to start getting more in-depth in other areas, beyond Spirituality and Philosophy. I still enjoy these things, but I find my reading in these areas nowadays to be a simple rehashing and expanding upon things I already know, although it is still enjoyable. Learning lots of different things is good! :D

12. I actually downloaded this book earlier on coincidentally. I was linked to it in a YouTube video, has the first book and the sequel as PDF files.
    Here's the link if anybody is interested.
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    My virus scanner said it was clean

13. If you like that, I suggest The cosmic Serpent afterwards, since I believe "shamanism" is how these cultures discovered the Flower of Life.. it's an even better read IMO, and he does a really good job of explaining in an objective POV.

14. I reached where you are a long time ago. I went past not wanting to discuss things, and now I'm at a point where I no longer want to even read about spiritual things. My energy and time is now spent in quiet meditation, which is infinitely more effective and beneficial than any amount of reading/discussing could hope to be. Filling your head with book knowledge on spiritual matters is fine for those out there who are simply curious and like to amass book knowledge, but for the true spiritual seeker it's mostly just a waste of time. Dive deep within and tap into the source of all knowledge that exists within yourself.

15. #16 DBV, Aug 6, 2011
    Books are good exercise though. It helps stretch my imagination/abstract thinking, even if I don't agree with all of the text.

16. I employ that meditative attitude towards life. I do not believe it to be incompatible with learning, though. It's about what you do with the knowledge. Most people have perspectives which cause excess knowledge to further confusion of the mind. I take knowledge for what it is, so it does not disturb the stillness of my mind. I still enjoy learning, though. In my life, I wish to incorporate all aspects of the human experience; something which is seen as impossible, as these different things are generally seen as incompatible.

17. you will not be disappointed!
    this story is bigger and better then anything you have read....(probably..ok maybe)
    but the worlds this guy creates......

he has a way of creating universes where people have followed both science and magic.....and have come just as far with both....
    futuristic technology .....and magic ....blended seamlessly.....

18. dingusus, that sounds really interesting!

19. #20 dirtydingusus, Aug 6, 2011
    he has other series as well...that one is my personal favorite....
    The Showtime series Dead Like Me was inspired by the book On a Pale Horse. the first book

second would be ......
    (and "second" depends on when you ask me-at times i think i like this one better)