Good Books

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by jay o2 waster, May 12, 2009.

1. I just finished my first year of college and have quite a bit of free time on my hands this summer, so when I am not out having a good time with my friends I want to do a lot of reading. I just read Catcher in the Rye this week and loved it. I just started Kurt Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan today and am really getting in to it. I really enjoy strange stories and thought provoking literature. I am planning on reading a lot of Vonnegut this summer as well as some by Hunter S. Thompson, and William S. Burroughs, Chuck Palahniuk. I also want to read some Plato and Aristotle as well. What are some of your guys (and girls) favorite books? What would you suggest I toke up and sit down with this summer. I am really looking for something to make me think about things.

2. These books probably suck but Robert B. Parker has some good mysteries. Honestly look up some autobiographical military books. Like books written by actual soldiers and shit. Those are some interesting books to read if you ask me. Hear about some crazy ass shit.

3. i like a lot of authors you listed so youll probally like these books:
    on the road by jack kerouac
    cats cradle by kurt vonnegut
    brave new world by aldous huxley
    ham on rye by charles bukowski
    junky by william s burroughs
    a clockwark orange by anthony burgess

4. I really do want to read a clockwork orange although i have seen the movie. I like the idea about the soldiers, that sounds very interesting.

5. keep reading the classics (like Catcher in the Rye). i recommend The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald or maybe The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. and if you get tired of reading about humans...check out The Call of the Wild by Jack London. this is a great list: The Modern Library | 100 Best | Novels

6. October Sky (it also comes titled as Rocket Boys)

Moby Dick is a pretty good book

i also liked The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

maybe even Treasure Island

or Lord of the Flies

hmmm, any of the Redwall series

7. Vonnegut is awesome. Breakfast of Champions, Timequake...

His son also wrote an interesting book called Garden of Eden, it's about him moving to a commune in Northern BC and developing schizophrenia from marijuana use & self-recovering from it... Mark Vonnegut.

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, great book!

I know a lot about classic books per se, but I haven't actually read that many of them!

8. Awesome fucking book. Call of the Wild by Jack London is fucking awesome as well.