Going to the Doctors to get some Anti-Anxiety Medicine

Discussion in 'General' started by Romain, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Hey all - Haven't been around for awhile. What's up?

I'm going to the doctors in a couple days to discuss me taking some anti-anxiety medicine to cure my nervousness and tension i've been experiencing over the past year. I'm curious as to what doctors are prescribing nowadays, and for what. Anyone taking them now? What are the values of these kind of prescriptions? I'm being pretty general here - What is the most common side effect for taking these?

Thanks for the help :bongin:

2. xanax fucks you up after awhile, if u get prescribed that be careful.

3. Wow that's it? I thought there would be more response..anyone else?

4. #4 LegitBaller, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
    whichever drug you want, do your homework online and whatever warrants getting that drug, thats what you tell them.
    if you just ask for some xanax, or benzos in general...needless to say you wont be getting any

5. My doctor prescribed Xanax.

I don't take it every day, only when I am feeling anxious or nervous.

Sleep like a baby also.

-C

6. All types of medicine can be used to treat anxiety nowadays...
    Benzo's like ativan, xanax, klonopin....

Valium, Buspar, Paxil, Zoloft, Zyprexa in low doses are all used... And many more can be prescribed for anxiety. It largely depends on the person.

7. Lmao, if you go into the doctor asking for specifics like xanax, or what not. They will not give it to you lmao.......to many ppl try this every day and they give them something completely opposite just for asking because the doctors know what the recreational purposes can be especially since they stereotype and theyre not dumb. But try w.e man.

8. Depending on what you tell them your symptoms are is what will determine which medication they decide to give you. If you tell them you have panic attacks they are more likely to give you some benzos. If you tell them you have social anxiety disorder they are more likely to give you Zoloft.

9. I have anxiety and they won't even put me on something for it.. she said that she wants to put me on anti-depressants because "it helps to work with anxiety too". anti-depressants just make me feel like shit and not like myself.

10. Yeah, I'm definately not depressed in any way. I just wanted to get something that would calm me down and keep my brain from racing in certain situations like before going to class and before I go to bed most of the time I get home I feel the need I have to go back out again, can't sit in one place and end up staying up much later than I wanted to - and it's quite irritating. I'm not saying that I have OCD either, not that extreme, but something close to it's effects. I don't know this will be the first time going to the Doctors about this i'm sorta nervous he takes it the wrong way and sends me to a bunch of shrinks.

I'll be doing my research, and checking the symptoms. If you were in MY shoes, what would YOU be asking for? And how much do these usually go for, i've never picked up any?

11. To my knowledge the way that Zoloft and Prozac and drugs like that work is that they level out your serotonin levels but that is more for people that are suffering from depression. If I were you I'd try to get a mild benzodiazepine like Valium. If you tell the doctor your symptoms and he doesn't prescribe you the drug that you like you can always visit another doctor. I dunno what your costs will be but if you have insurance it just depends on what your co-pay is and if you don't have insurance it would depend on if you got generic or brand name and what your quantity is. I'm sure you could keep it under $50 for a month's supply though. Benzo's aren't going to solve your problem though - they are just like a temporary fix. You build up a tolerance quickly and they are quite addictive. I'd probably just play around with different pharmaceuticals until you find the right one for you.

12. Yeah I have medical insuranced through my parents, and the co-pay is pretty cheap when I visit the doctor (about $5 I believe). I'd try and go look for some on the market, but I can't seem to find anybody. In the end, I hope I get prescribed something. This has really been bugging me, and I can just see it in my face and I've substantially grown a good amount of grey hair (not that it's falling out, I got lots of nice hair :D). If i mentioned I have trouble falling asleep because of it, would that help or hurt me?

13. For a first time you will probably get a anti depressant. Docs tend not to give benzos right away, you will have to be patent and tell him what works and what doesnt.

14. If you are definitely looking to get benzo's then you should keep mentioning the word "anxiety" while you are talking to the doctor. Tell him/her about all the things in day to day life that you worry about which makes it hard to get through your day. Tell them you can't concentrate at work/school due to the amount of anxiety you are experiencing and that you are restless a lot. You could say that you have trouble sleeping because while you are trying to fall asleep all these worrying throughts are racing through your head. That should get you a benzo prescription from at least one doctor.

15. Great. I just got back from the Doctors, he's sending me to a psych for a evaluation and from there said if needed he can prescribe me something. I really hope I get something for this, it's really bothering me and hindering me from doing alot of things. My sister takes adderall, and she's a mess. I hope I don't get that..I just need somethin to like coat my brain so my mind stops fucking racing about a thousand things

16. They gave me Paxil and Busparone. This was 8 month ago though so im not taking anything anymore.