Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Going to send my dad an email about the truth on cannabis.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Feelin Irie, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Wont hurt trying I guess, I'm going to send it today and see what happens.

2. I don't really like when people say it isn't addictive, as it is habit forming, so I think they're just splitting hairs. Your dad sounds like he's fairly reasonable and open to the reality that you smoke, so I think he's able to distinguish the gray areas between an "addiction" to pot and an addiction to a harder drug like heroin. Look, money is habituating, if someone grows accustomed to a certain lifestyle of fancy cars and homes of course they're going to be a bit more pissed off and stressed out than your average Joe if they suddenly find themselves on a tighter budget. The same is true of weed and a million other things.

Some people by nature are far more dependent on things, and others are more easily able to let go. Your dad is right to caution you. If you rationalize away your habits it is easy to slide into dependence, be it something as mundane as not being able to stop biting your fingernails, or smoking pot. Take what he said at face value and consider it good advice from your pop. Just because he's telling you one possible path does not mean that he is saying every smoker will go that way, rather that you should be aware of that possibility. He seems pretty open, and has experimented in the past, if you come at him with a candied up version of the truth you won't have any credibility with him. Open and honest dialogue on both sides of the marijuana debate would really move the discussion forward in this country. As it stands now there's a lot of ridiculous rhetoric and propaganda on both sides of the issue.

Speak to him honestly and candidly face to face, and accept that most things have the potential for abuse, including marijuana. Don't send him an e-mail with the "Truth".

3. Well, by you father's 'logic', If everyone who smokes starts pushing, then who would be the buyers?

Silly misconceptions are silly. ;)

4. You've obviously never been addicted to a drug. There is a huge difference in the dependence marijuana brings and the addiction some narcotics bring.

5. Of course there is a huge difference, I'm not saying there isn't, and his dad sounds reasonable enough to make that obvious distinction as well. I just think it's absolutely nuts to not concede that there is some validity to his dad's concerns, like it or not some people do develop a psychological dependence on a whole range of things, including cannabis. Not all people, but some do, and being aware of that can help to moderate use and encourage responsible behavior. The majority of my friends in college did fine and balanced their use with their studies, just as I balance mine with my work now. However I do know people who did nothing but get stoned and drop out. I'm just encouraging the OP to give his dad some credit and approach him in an open and honest way, recognizing that his concern comes from a good place and is not wholly unreasonable.

6. Oh, you got me all wrong spruce.

I definatley understand what he's talking about, but I just don't think he's 100% correct is all.

7. send it to him, if he ignores it, then have a real heart to heart conversation with him in person. DO YOUR RESEARCH so that you can answer any questions he has on the spot.

8. yeah man, I've been on this site for about a year, but only started posting just recently.

I'm pretty educated when it comes to bud, atleast I think so. =D

9. Tell me about it, seriously, lets hear what you have to say, you shoudl be confident and knowledgable when talking to people who might be ignorant to cannabis, speak formally as well, that always helps when trying to educate parents.

10. yea, i've been there. i told my parents straigh up that i though cannabis should be legalized and that it wasn't so bad and so on.. Both of them seemed a little disappointed, and they still do (or more like talking about weed is a taboo). I have tourettes syndrom so i kinda told them thats how i started to get into the subject. My dad and I watched the Union together (positive!) and when the subject was in the papers or on the news we started discussiions that i always won. a good argument in my case was "drugs shouldn't be sold on the streets to anyone that wants them. A dealer doesn't care if the buyer is 12 or 30".

Anyway, approach you dad and tell him. Practise what you're gonna say, and listen to him aswell. My parents told me they did not support my point of view, atleast not recreationally, but they were very pleased with me being so open with them. Point this out to you parents. Tell them you don't wanna hide from them, their your parents! Don't get angry if they do, stay calm and tell them the truth.

good luck dude :) You should be alright. They should appreciate you being open to them