Going to attempt to make a cabinet

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BigGreenPTS, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Greetings all I was looking at buying a grow cabinet however many say it's just extremely overpriced for what you get so I've decided to just build my own. A grow tent will not work as I am trying to keep it as discreet as possible. I've found a locking metal cabinet on Amazon for roughly 250 a 600 watt hps by apollo for 169 and that's about as far as I have gotten I'd like to incorporate a few led panels for the extra spectrum as well as a good carbon filter. Any advice to make this a complete system would be helpful.

2. Looks good so far. If you go all 6" on your ventilation I'd be concerned with temps, especially with the one fan pulling double duty through a cooltube and filter with a silencer on it and extra LED's in the cabinet. Couple of elbows in your ducting and it might be too much for your fan to handle.

I'd either ditch the LED's or use 2 6" fans, one for the cooltube and one for the filter. 6" duct silencers are $50 on Amazon. Fan controllers, of course.

This is from my perspective, summertime is a real challenge in my basement with no a/c but if your room temps are a constant 70f you might be fine with the first setup.

3. Looks Good so Far :)

4. Any reason your choosing cabinet over a tent?

5. Actually since posting this I've done more research and a tent seems like it will be the better route for my needs. Ideally I would like to produce between a half a pound to a pound per harvest. My closet is 3 foot deep 6 foot wide and I need no more than 6 foot high the closest thing to those dimensions is a Secret Jardin Wide Dark Room 2.5: 3' x 5' x 6'6. The reason the tent looks more ideal is simply size and admittedly I was not the most confident in my ability to construct a box and the tent is far cheaper. Will the same lighting etc work for this?

6. i've got an apollo 3x3x6 and while it isnt very discreet, if you have it in a corner opposite the door, its hard to tell

i also have the 600w mh/hps, my temps are now right at 82 and constant. thats with an additional 300w led light. so the light may work for you, but since its so wide, maybe the 1000w would cover more. not sure, not an expert, i know that in my 3ft wide space the 600 covers it nicely

Attached Files:

7. Very nice set up! I am not opposed to the 1000w if it's required I want to make sure they get all the light they require. I plan to grow 4 to 6 at a time.